Has my tube gone bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Mar 11, 2004.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Probably lots of jokes in the title...I can take 'em!:DLOL

Anyway, I turned on my amp tonight and heard a crackle, as opposed to a gentle "pop" that I might normally get.

Some of the LEDs went on, so I know the amp was getting power, but there was no volume. I looked inside the screen on my Fafner and couldn't see the tube lit up so I took it out. In looking at it, it seems okay, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

When tubes burn out, do they exhibit burn marks like light bulbs sometimes do when they burn out? Obviously light bulbs don't always have the burn marks, so I don't know if I should expect the tube to. But, the filaments all look like they're still in one piece, so I'm not quite sure...

Any ideas?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tap the tubes, lightly. Be gentle. If it makes a rattling thru the amp, then it's bad. Usually that will work most times.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I already had the tube out, so I just tapped on it. It doesn't rattle.

I wonder what else it could be? :bawl:
  4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Just replace the tube.

BTW: Don't take the tube out and tap it.
    Your supposed to perform the 'tube-tap' test with
    it in the socket, amp on, speakers hooked up.
    If it makes a rattling or tinkle sound through the amp as heard through the speakers, it's probably a bad tube.

Just replace the tube anyway.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, not a bad tube. I tried both the tap test, which resulted in nothing. Then I replaced the tube with a new one bought today, and same thing...nothing.

No sound, but there is a gentle pop when I turn the amp on and the LEDs still go on.

So, not a bad tube.

It's got me seriously thinking, though...3rd major problem with my Fafner in 4 years. What's it worth?

One of the best sounding amps, but is this bad reliability? I'm beginning to thing so... :(