Has playing bass "opened" your ears?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Before I started playing bass I only liked Hard Rock or Heavy Metal. I mean, I really disliked Rap, R&B, jazz, classical, blues, or anything. But after I started playing bass not only did I begin to fully realize just what the instrument did but I began to have a greater understanding of how music really "worked". Then I started opening up to all kinds of music. Funk, Jazz, Blues, R&B,... everything started appealing to me. I would listen to songs that I hated before but now when I listened to them they had a completely different perspective. Playing bass has really opened my ears to alot of different musical styles but I realize that none of my guitar playing buddies(who started playing about the same time as me) share this type of logic. They all still seem to be "closed minded" to music. Is this a phenomenon that happens only in bass players or does it just depend on a person to person basis? Let me know what you guys think.
  2. I totally agree with your post... I used to like rock, and alternative and a bit of some other stuff, now I love FUNK, punk, disco, jazz, SKA, good R&B (which can be tough to find), and I have only been playing a year... I agree with the guitarist thing too, my friends like to call themselves one specific type ie.. metal guitarist and such.... I think it is because bass holds the same role in most music and a good bass player just sounds good no matter what else (guitar, drum, keys,...) is going on... which makes one look at great bass lines from the musical spectra. Guitar on the other hand is a completely different tool from funk to punk... think rythmic wah usage on funk, and raging melody distortion on punk.... You catch my Drift???

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree with all of you - the bass is a ubiquitous instrument that is needed in all types of music, no matter what the style - as such, bassists can learn from other bassists from all genres - I came from a jazz background, but have been introduced to nu-metal, hip-hop, and other progressive styles because of my instrument of choice.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I agree. The guitarist in my band is obsessed with punk. He listens to, eats, drinks, and plays ONLY punk! He's crazy, I tell you.
  5. YES!!!

I never thought that I would be into disco and Jackson 5! (That doesn't mean that I like Michael Jackson's solo work. Nothing could make me like most of that!):)
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's a plethora of good R&B out there. Really, one could spend a lifetime just dealing with Motown, Stax, & Atlantic R&B/Soul.
    Go back to the '60s & then trace R&B into the '70s, etc.

...Michael Jackson's recent albums have been watered-down fluff(IMHO). His earlier stuff(eg Off The Wall)had some pretty decent players(& I always dug Rod Temperton's writing)...guys like Will Lee, Louis Johnson, Anthony Jackson, Bobby Watson, etc.
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    While playing has definitely opened my ears, I'm going to say that it has more to do with a sincere, active interest in music over the bass. I think that taking serious interest in any instrument can bring about the interest in all kinds of music. The bass just happens to be one of the best places to be for this, since many forms of music establish a structure and foundation through the bass lines.
  8. That's exactly how I feel. Before I started playing bass, I really loved music, but I was only mostly listening to punk, hard rock, alt rock, nu-metal and rap-metal. After becoming a bassist, my passion for music has grown amazingly. Once hard rocker, now jazz and funk freak. Thank God my dad was here to show me the light.
  9. Yep..

i used to listen to blackmetal a lot, relentless pounding stuff.. but since i'm playing bass i started to listen to other music as well.. and now i'm listening to stuff like Muse, Manic street preachers, etc...
  10. Hmmm...
    I don't think bass itself opened me up to 'newer' music as TalkBass did.
    I heard people talking about Dream Theater, Rush, Pink Floyd etc, and I had never even heard of them. Sure, actually playing bass probably helped a little, but I think it's more the people here that've helped me open up from what I used to listen to, although I do still listen to Collective Soul and everything I used to listen to... :)
  11. I was (and still am) an alternative/metal type of guy, like Deftones, Inubus, Fear Factory. Now I love Funk, Soul and Jazz just as much.
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Hell yeah! I listen to more types of music than I could imagine 5 years ago..
  13. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    For me personally it wasn't like an overnight thing. I didn't just wake up one morning and say to myself "man I've got to get a funk album" but it was kinda gradual. I would scan through some radio stations and I'd actually "hear" the bass line in a R&B song or a jazz song and I'd think to myself "man that bass player is pretty good". Also one of the major things that initially drew me to playing bass was that I realized how versitle of an instrument it is. Guitar players nowadays are so 1 dimensional that if they ever need to find a gig they have to find one that suits them and their style. Bass players can hop into a blues band, classic rock band, alternative, funk, reggae, etc, etc, and just groove it out! I love it! :D
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that bass players are more open minded about music in general and tend to have more eclectic taste than other musicians, let alone the general population.

I have a drummer buddy who likes a lot of different stuff, but his taste's aren't as wide as mine.

I like rock, metal, prog rock, punk, some pop, R&B, hip hop, some rap, some country, classical, jazz, fusion, funk, some new age, techno, steel pans, some alternative, even some nu-metal and pop punk, latin, and some industrial.

I like good music, no matter the genre.
  15. Ah...
    I wish more people would understand that.

I have a couple friends that simply won't listen to certain bands because "the vocals are annoying", a la Rush, or "the guitar parts are boring" etc., instead of looking at the music as a whole.
    Sure, the guitar part might be "boring", but when you look at what it's doing with the rest of the band, say...bass, drums, horns, keys, percussion etc., it might fit perfectly.

*sigh* Oh well. As the only other bassist in my class wrote in my yearbook last year, "We bassists need to stick together. We're a dying breed!" :D