Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Sadowsky ever made basses in shapes other than Jazz or Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassaussie, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I just saw this auction on Ebay selling a Sadowsky light-case, and the seller says that the case fits a model Roger made for a short period of time that's not the typical Jazz style he's known for.

This is the auction ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SADOWSKY-FORM...7382421480QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

.... some pics, which shows the really small body shape, and that it is indeed a Sadowsky case (or, that it does at least have the Sadowsky logo on it) ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... and the relevant part of the description ....

"This case is original and in GREAT shape! Cordura exterior, formfit rigis interior lines with heavy-duty grey velour. It will NOT fit the typical Sadowsky "J" body style but is made for the smaller-bodied models he produced for a short time (It is similar in size to a Roscoe LG series body)."

Anybody familiar with which basses he's talking about? I'd really like to see a picture of one.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not aware of any other designs.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Here's one that looks a little different, but I don't know if it qualifies as a "non-Jazz" or "non-P" shape?

[​IMG]

4. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
  5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Perhaps it is a Sadowsky guitar case as opposed to a bass case. Might want to ask Roger. AFAIK basses have always been Jazz and P Bass shapes.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Those are the "Modern" basses.
    Soapbars and a 24 fret neck.
    AFAIK, Sadowsky only made 4 body styles. Smaller Jazz Bass style, Modern (which is the smaller Jazz Bass style except a deeper cutaway for the 24 fret neck), the Ultra Vintage Jazz (full size Jazz Bass body) and the P Bass body style. All of which are available in both 5 and 4 string versions.
    He didn't make another style, but Roger floats around here from time to time and maybe he will chime in on this.

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Yeah, when I said "Jazz or Precision", I was including the Modern 24F shape, which isn't exactly a Jazz, but is obviously inspired by one.

If you look at the case I originally posted, the shape looks more like a Curbow or something like that. I know that other companies use the same case as Roger does (such as Roscoe), so maybe what happened was that the original cover was replaced with a Sadowsky cover, or something like that. I think the whole story about these other bass models Roger supposedly built is just some inventive fiction! :D

8. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, you're right, the ones I posted are probably Modern 24s. But the second one has an extended lowe horn, right?

Maybe someone will have to write an e-mail to Mr. Sadowsky and ask?? :D

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Yeah, I must admit, I don't know what that second one is. Headstock looks like it might be a Sadowsky, but, as you said, the lower horn is really extended a long way out. But I know one thing - it definitely wouldn't fit in the case I pictured above! :D

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  11. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    No, it's definately a Sadowsky. Look here:
    [​IMG]

But I definately do agree, bassaussie... it won't fit unless you use a saw of some type.

But it's definately a slightly different body shape, although it could probably pass as a modern 24F variation. :)

12. I don't know for sure, but I thought the modern 24 originally and briefly had the extended lower horn, and was soon modified to it's present shape. I've seen a couple pics of them. It's the same shape lull used for his 24 fret models, but lull's have shortened the lower horn as well recently.