Has TalkBass "Jumped the Shark"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 20, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Driving to work today, I started thinking about how TB has been changing as of late. More nastiness, more arguing, more asinine behavior in general. You know what I'm talking about.

Then, while perusing the EffDeePee instead of working, I ran across a thread about the turning point of TV shows - "Jumping the Shark", referring to the point Happy Days started the long downhill slide into oblivion.

Are we there?

Has TalkBass gotten too big?

Why the hell are we allowing controversial threads (and posters) to suck up so much of our time?

After all, isn't this joint supposed to be about BASS?
  2. I like the Off Topic section because it allows TB members to get to know each other much better.
    I don't like it because trolls can often spark political debates.

But I am confident in the abilities of the moderators to handle these situations.
  3. I'ver been here for alomost 2 years, and nothing has changed. There have always been periods where trolls are more prominant than before, but they go away.

Its impossible to have a forum without trolls, its not the end of the world.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i miss the old days of "off topic" :(

(and Im pretty sure we had NO trolls, well JWC only but that was it...)
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

just take a look at "General Instruction" and "Technique"

those forums are great A+++++ quality

would buy from them again!
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

As long as there are enough of us regulars posting frequently and keeping the environment level headed (not to mention those wonderful moderators;)) TB can grow indefinitely.

It's easy to think that TB is drifting because of the occasional self-righteous dingbat who, more often than not, has next to nothing to offer as far as bass playing goes.

We aren't giving controversial threads a lot of time. It just looks that way because we had too many controversial threads in a relatively short period of time.
  8. I have to agree with SpankBass. The political and completely idiotic stuff seem to go in cycles. It builds to where someone really offends one or more members and then leaves. (like we could care) Then it gets static for a little while until the trouble making mice think there's no cat here, get cocky and the whole process starts again. I'd guess that about 2 or 3 members get booted per year. The other wise acres realize that they aren't getting the rise they want out of the crowd and leave on their own. Very good thread, Heavy. You've given me an idea for a new thread. My two year anniversary is coming up on the 29th! :)

Goody, goody gumdrops.

Mike J.

9. Took the words right outta my mouth - although you probably put it more eloquently than I would;)
  10. Have any of you noticed a Talkbass high/low cycle?

It seems we just got out of, or at least are heading out of a stormy cycle here at TB. There have been some controversial threads here lately and a relatively high number of threads have been closed within a short period. (no MODs bashing here, you all had perfectly good reasons to close them)

What I'm asking is, do you think this happens on a regular basis, and if you do please give approximate time frames of what happened and when.

This just dawned on me in another thread. From what I recall, the last period like this was about 6 - 8 months ago.

I don't think this place is going downhill at all. I do think there is a certain cycle or rhythm to this place though.

What do you think? Could it be sunspots? :confused:

Mike J.
  11. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Time like this make me doubt how good you guys are at controlling trolls. I mean, come on, I got through.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have to agree with Spankbass and Blackbird too. I've been around here for a couple of years now, and I think everything is still going pretty good, considering the number of members that are now here.
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I can't remember any specifics, but I have noticed this too somewhat. There will be long periods of time where there are no real problems at all, and then BOOM, there is a short time where things get a little chaotic, mainly in OT.

Hmmm, wonder why??
  14. been here for about 1 and 1/2 years too, things seem to be going a little down hill, but so far so good...
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    We've been through worse stuff in the past.
    What I really dig is that there are always "newbies" coming in and staying (or pretending to leave, like Bigfeet ;) ) and add to the "old" community of regulars.
    The regulars have become a community that's pretty unique in the web, and all those trolls and potstirrers are just like rain showers, they hit out of the blue, sometimes quite heavily, but they stop quickly too.
    We're strong enough to cope with pretty much anything.
  16. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why is everyone giving so much power to one little child? I just don't understand that.

Anyway, this is the same theme as the "jump the shark" thread, so I'm merging.

If you don't give the trolls what they want, they'll go away.
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's only improved by a long shot, IMO.

If you focus on the negative, the negative is your focus.

As Rob Tyner of the MC5 said - "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
  18. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I like to think that I beat the mods to the punch, re: the recent troll vacation, with the use of the ignore button. Why don't more people use the redaction feature?
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Seasonal shortage of Ritalin?:D
  20. ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    I'm fairly new to this forum, and I don't know how it "used to be," but I think it's first class. I've been involved in other bass forums and this one is the best I've found. I like it well enough to have become a supporting member and wear both the white and black t-shirts. Now I'm waiting for the ball caps to be available (I voted for just the bass clef, incidently). There is so much good advice and information here, and the humorous replies & good natured ribbing by you members who know each other makes it fun. If there's a thread that doesn't interest me I just don't read it. In other words, "if it ain't broke, . . ." Just my 2 cents.