Has The 2XBASSLIST gone to Hell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mchildree, May 16, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    ...or should it? I recently (about 6 months ago) subscribed to 2xBASSLIST, and I'm finding it to be a complete waste of time. But then again, when I have questions and I search the archives for answers, I find that in the past it must have been a great informational resource for both new and experienced DB'ers. I know that lots of Talkbasser's are also subbed to 2XBassList....what gives? What happened?
  2. As I said on another thread, I left that place the moment I discovered the windbag who signs his posts "Dr. ..."
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ahhh, I don't think it's that bad. If you look in the archives I think that it has always had times like this occasionally, ie people hawking things, disparaging respected bass sellers, etc. It does have the advantage of having a LOT of members, and you can get a broad range of answers on any subject. The latest tiff ended with those who wanted a more moderated list forming their own on Yahoo, and then quickly changing over to another place. I say, the more the merrier. I actually know a guy who thought he was unfairly slammed here on Talkbass and limits himself back to the 2xbasslist. My conclusion: Itsa free country and to each his own.

I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv,

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    It appears that there used to be lots of good info shared on that group, but now all I see is a group of people trying to "out clever" each other. Who can deliver the most cryptic insult, or the most inside jokes....most aren't very funny or clever.
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Like any other list, the PAGEDOWN key comes in quite handy. However, of late, the signal to noise ratio has been abysmal, especially two a**holes who think they are clever with witless replies. It is a shame, I've never seen it deteriorate that far,and it has obviously driven some folks away. A yahoo-based 2xbass list has been formed as a moderated alternative, but wasn't getting much traffic last time I checked.

Still, by getting the list in digest form the worthless posts can be easily bypassed.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Has the 2X Basslist gone to hell? In short, yes.
  7. 2Xbasslist has been a great source of information for me. I agree it has deteriorated recently. However, I'm sticking with it, in the hope it will improve.
  8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am one but they wont let me on TV, probably because I dont watch it.

Dr. Michael Mulcahy MD