has the magic bullet fret grime disipator been discovered yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass V, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    we know solvents like alcohol aren't good for finishes and I'm not keen on dark gunk seeping further into the wood along the slots, what can make the micro-crud disappear instantly or emulsify and draw it out for removal? I've acquired an old maple fretboard which isn't in bad shape but it's someone else's DNA and it wasn't Jaco, I'd like it to look new again at those points.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    it's been on my short list but does it actually pull gunge out of the pits?

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I saw a YT video a while back where they cleaned up a 20 y/o Peavey guitar that had never even been in the same room as a clean cloth or steel wool.

I was impressed.

I have not used the product myself as I tend to stay ahead of the grunge monster.

Bass V likes this.
  5. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I've had good luck with naptha and an old toothbrush. I do this when I'm doing fretwork anyway, so a bit of dirt isn't an issue. I tend to re-oil the wood (if it is rosewood) after using naptha as it is quite harsh on the oils in the wood.

96tbird likes this.
  6. A toothbrush and Lemon Oil will get a lot of it off.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021