Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has there been a "political war" here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zanthrax, Jan 27, 2003.

1. First I must say that it wasn't until recently I started "talkbassing" here in OT so I might have missed something really vital for what I'm about to say...

I've gotten the impression that polical threads have been banned because of one person and not because of "the community", but I might be wrong...

To the point...

I've visited an forum for guitarists and they were debating this "Iraq issue" (as some are doing here). There is one difference though... The thread was six pages long when I visited it the last time and that was six pages of namecalling and bad language (f**k every other word)...

I might have missed something but the discussion that's going on here seems very civilized.

Conclusion: I am glad that I am a bassplayer. :) "Rather a bad bassplayer then a loudmouth guitarist!" :D :D ;) ;)

2. Hey dude, welcome to Talkbass.

Hmmmmmm....does this support the generalization that guitarists are impulsive, egomaniacal, flashy, dumb imps? :rolleyes:

(Not even close to every guitarist is like that, but so many are.... too bad they are necessary for so many types of music... :( )

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the reason is simple. we're pretty hardcore about keeping things civil here.

oh, and that's not because one person was banned, but rather a few over the past 3 years. it's amazing how quickly folks figure out the acceptable and unacceptable behaviours, and furthermore how willing most folks are to follow those behaviour standards.

4. Thanks. Been here for a couple of years but haven't made my way down to the "Off Topic" until now. :)

Yes. In a humourus way. At least thats what I tried to say with all those smiles...

I know what you mean... One of my best friends is a guitarist but he's sane! :D Maybe because of that he started on saxophone?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think it also has to do with the fact that most of us are older than the average guitar player that trolls around internet boards.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In other words, the conversation got a little heated, and a mod exposed himself!

:D

7. Yeah our mods here are pretty darn good at their jobs.

Evidently this means JT's job means buying an ***load of Conklin customs and quoting Eric Cartman. :D

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

--------------------------------------------------
    Anyone can name call and &$%#@ all over the place. We have our disagreements about the ideas and philosophies of governance.
    But you can't rip on someone here, insult them, and then expect them (or others) to help you in another forum with Modes, set-ups, discuss an electronic problem, tabs:eek: , or trade professional advice. This is a pretty special place.

I'm not saying we're superior to other sites. But we're working on it. :cool:

9. This is key.

Try hitting guitar.com sometime--aiyiyi, it's bad there.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    We are.

11. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Since we are generalizing Guitarists, has anyone else noticed that rhythm Guitarists tend to be saner than lead guitarists?

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Yep, and imo its because rhythm guitarists arent obsessed with the spotlight like lead guitarists are.

13. It's not all guitarists. Acoustic guitarists are fairly civilised, as acousticguitar.com shows.

Electric guitarists and especially, as someone pointed out, <i>lead</i> players are the problem.

14. I've got to agree that our moderators are great! The only place I know that works better then this is rather small swedish guitar/bass forum...

It was rather insane in the thread that I read... There was one guy who posted well written and civilized posts with links to support his arguement and one guy who didn't agree with him started calling him troll... I also can't understand why they use the f-word so much... But then again I'm not an american...

Isn't the female singer worse than the lead guitarist? I belive so but I also belive we forgive her faster than the guitarist. Why? To quot a singer I've known: "For a singer the bassplayer is the most beautiful guy in the band. He just stands in his corner and does his thing." :D (<- The original sentence didn't translate very well into english... :mad: )