Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    At a gig tonight, last song, last set, I took a solo (I try to keep this sort of thing a minimum...usually none ;)) Afterwards I got lots of positive feedback and a great response from the crowd. There's just one slight problem...

I have know idea what I did :D

This hasn't happened in a while but I seemed to be in an almost trance-like state. When I finished I shook my head, snapped out of it and then said to myself; "Where the heck did that come from?" It just flowed. It was great but next time I'd like to be there.

BTW - I don't drink or do drugs...maybe it was the Turkey croissant and Diet Coke? Who knew?

BTW II - I used my Zon Legacy fretless 5 for the entire gig. This bass is a tone monster.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You were groovin', man.

Here's a question. Y'know when you see a kitty-cat just kinda sittin' there, with all four legs tucked under, lookin' really cozy and staring off into space? Now, do you suppose he's reflecting on past experiences, planning new mischief, or just groovin'?

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It's called...being in the "flow"...:)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Brad-
    IMO, those are the *best* times. Believe me, I'm no serious improv-er, but there have been a couple times where I was wonderin' where the S*** was coming from as I just got totally locked/out there/lost within a rhythm section(in my case, somebody else is always soloing...I don't/can't).
    I especially like when the trainwreck is about to occur & then "magically", everything seems to find its way back to "1". Whew! I know not how, what, or why...I do know I was "high"(& I'm straight as they come, too).

...then again, maybe it was the turkey/tryptophan-Diet Coke combo. :D

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It was pretty cool but it was also pretty weird. I used to be heavily into fusion so I could solo but over the last few years my focus has been almost exclusively on the groove. The drummer and I had really been pushing the groove all night. I'd been having fun throwing little fretless licks in when I saw a place, I was having a pretty good time. The band leader asked the crowd if they were ready for the bass man and I guess they were. I looked upwards and went for it.

I know what I played came out well by the band's and the crowd's reaction but... for the life of me I can't remember a single phrase of what I played:D I've got to start taping this stuff.

Could have been the turkey, Jim. Beats me ;)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup.. that's the zone I try to get in every time I play. That's why Level 42 has an album called "The pursuit of accidents"

Will C.:cool:

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's why i tape every one of my gigs. that and to actually have proof that they happened. :D

8. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    John Turner doesn't gig. He's just a dirty liar. =)

Brad: I envy you. You might not be able to remember you kickass solo, but at least you had the ability to play it!

But, yeah... I'm thinking you'll have to start taping your gigs. =)

9. I play constantly in that state and musicians that I play with sometimes follow me there. The only 'blackout' experience I've had was a recital in college, I remember being on the stage wing before and the applause after the final piece but the 30 minutes in between are a blank, fortunatly there is a recording that is wonderful. I am doing a some informal research on these experiences that I believe are mystical in nature so I am interested in other replies to this message. .

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Like I said it was pretty cool but for an admitted control freak a little unsettling. I don't drink (for the most part ;))or do drugs mainly because I always want to be fully aware of what's going on.

I just hope I wasn't making the "oh" face :eek:

11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It sounds more like you might have had the :confused: face...:)

12. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I've had those moments, but usually in the studio. I hear the playback and wonder where the licks came from. When I listen to the CD's at a later date I have to remember how the line went so I can reproduce it live.

Chris A:rolleyes:

13. My best improv lines happen when I'm trying to cover up a mistake.HaHa.Afterwards,someone will ask me "How did you do that?" I tell them I lost my place and was scrambling to get back in the groove...hmmm...Maybe I ought to mess up more often,it might make me more interesting.

14. I'm the same way. I did an album with a friend of mine before he put his band together, and when I heard the CD later, I wondered where some of the stuff I played had come from. Then, he asked me to do a gig, and I had to try to learn some of these alien licks I had one-offed in the studio! It was hard re-producing some of it. Weird.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Those are the best times, that's for sure! I always try to replicate that, but in live situations, I haven't felt that in a long time.

I do remember recording one song ages ago, though, and this still alludes me: I had a pretty crappy bass at the time, so I borrowed some guy's Fender...it had a really thin neck and active electronics. I practiced on this thing all night long before going into the studio the next day in order to get used to it.

The next day, when we were recording this one song, I have no idea what happened...We hit a transition phrase and the drummer did his usual thing. But, my hand slipped off the fretboard completely. I wanted to redo the take, but the band wouldn't let me, saying it sounded fine. (Hmmm...a guitarist telling the bass player something is fine...:confused: )

On the playback I listened to it and couldn't figure out what I did. It ended up sounding amazing! I couldn't duplicate it, and never got that back, but...WOW!!! It was so weird!

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Man thats awsome, you entered into the place where your groove lives. You found your center and your soul flowed out. Enjoy, not all of us ever find it.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think we all play music for this short moment. We like it so much that we look forward for the next time.

18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Surrender to your Muse...:)

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...if you're lucky enough to find it.

Will C.:cool:

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    if memory serves me correctly, you always ad-libbed! hahaha

Just joking man, you were the best bassist I ever played with. Seriously.