Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has your band ever played with bands that sucked?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thomas, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Trying not to be egotistical here, in its dozen or so gigs, my band is yet to play with a band solidly better than us.
    We tend to be consistantly booked with either really horrible new school punk bands or else cover bands that sound like you've flipped on the local 'new' rock station.
    I want to play with some bands that make us have to work to feel good about our selves.

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    nar. anyone who plays with us is always rawking.

PROPS TEW: DYSFUNKTION & SILK & ANOTHER CONUNDRUM & VERTICAL TACO!!! YOUSE GUYS ARE ACE!!!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have, and it's a no win situation, unless they're trying to get better through practice. If they ALREADY think that they ARE good, then you've got to bounce. It ain't worth it to hang around.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sharing the stage with bands that just don't have it down solid is inevitable, IME. Just part of dues paying.

But it shouldn't be consistently happening gig after gig once you've been on the scene for a while.

Who is doing your bookings??? If it is consistently happening, it sounds like a booking problem. It may well be time to swim in a lake rather than a pond.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Yes, and weve also played with bands that were much better than us, too.

6. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    no, but i'm sure that, after playing with us, other bands could answer "yes" to your question. =)

we didnt really suck. we were just lazy. and didn't get along... and therefore affected our playing ability... we didn't suck damn it.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sucked, eh, it's a difference of opinion. We do however, have a very intese live show.

8. It may very well be a booking issue, we're still at the stage that we have to take pretty much any gigs we're offered so.....

But just an example, a few weeks ago this band played before us that did nothing but butcher Green Day and Sublime songs, about 45 minutes into their set my guitar player realized that they were playing a song that they'd played earlier again and told me 'f#$% this, lets go', so we went ahead and go our stuff together to go on stage.
    After the gig we were told we were being egotistical and trying to intimidate the other band. I don't know what the guitarists intentions were but personally these guys were just bringing me down and I wanted to go on and get my gig over with before I got too pissed to do a good job.
    For some reason I tend to be hyper-sensitive to outside stimulus right before a show and anything negative really bothers me.

9. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Last "show" i played *not even really a show, just a local thing @ the youth center* but we played w/ a band called cork screw pee pee....they sucked...bad...in my mind..that name means "no self respect":rolleyes:

10. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    playing with bad bands? All the time! It's only normal I feel, everyone has to begin somewhere, and I wouldn't like to hear what they were thinking about us...:)

I never felt that opening at another bands concert could be something good (the crowd isn't coming for you, you only get to play a short set, ...), but this thursday we are doing it for the first time and I can assure you we feel much more thrilled about it than for a normal party/concert/festival gig! The band playing after us is not that famous, but the people in it are and are great musicians (Stefan Galland must be Belgium's best Jazz drummer (Aka Moon, Greetings for Mercury..., professor in the Brussels music academy), plus the place is quite respected for more avant-garde style music. We mostly just want to sound good to the guys we're opening for I guess... Are we lame now?

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Enjoy playing with the crappy bands while it lasts. It's good for confidence building - and if your band is that much better than the rest, it's going to help you guys get a great rep, right?

Although I see the value of playing with bands that are really good, I must say it ain't the greatest feeling in the world to have to follow an act that just brought the house down. Especially if they packed the place their fans. If yer opening for them, that's a different story - although that can also be a less than desirable situation.

I'd say be grateful and pray it keeps on happening the way it is.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I've opened for bands that We were better than.. It was a shame. those bands really sucked. But I did play with some bands that really rocked it.. it was all fun ;)