1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has your 'bass perspective' changed after joining Talk Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickyBass, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Yes. TB changed my mind about bass choice.

56.7%
  2. Nah. I'm still digging what I'm digging.

43.3%
  1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Before I joined TB, I had owned a few 'high end' basses and a few newer production basses. However, my main players were always vintage Fenders.

Since joining here, and meeting other TBers at GTGs and at various music shops, I've played alot of boutique gear. Through buying, selling and trading, I've held many fantasitc instruments in my hands.

In the past, I never dis-liked boutique basses, but I never really considered them either. I just had something that worked for me.

Now I split my time between vintage and boutique. I play electic jazz (smooth jazz) and find that alot of the newer builders are making basses that fit right in tonally. I do alot of soloing, so I dig alot of the features that are offered today.

So, has TB changed anyone else's mind about gear choice?

Please keep the conversation civil. The last thing we need is another ~VS~ thread.

2. I learned a lot about different tones and what basses were desirable for whatever tone I wanted!

3. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Oh goodness, yes...of course, when I joined, I knew of only a couple boutique bass builders, and didn't even realize there was a boutique amp industry. I've spent way too much time (and money) on the research of these companies, and pretty much ended up exactly where I started: inexpensive gear of better-than-average quality to get the job done. Although my Mike Lull isn't going anywhere now (I hope).

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Nope, not really. I still dig P basses.

I've been turned onto quite a bit of stuff here that I had not known of before, but I don't know that any of what they build would suit me better than a good ol P bass.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I would say yes. And for the better. If TB has taught me anything, it's to search around and find a good quality/price ratio. Where as before I found myself GASing over almost anything I thought looked 'cool' (BC Rich's, Gibsons, anything that would have made me look cool on stage), now I am a lot more critical of brands. I know what manufacturers I like and what I don't. Sound and feel has taken over asthetics and image.

Having that said, when I was still new to TB, I stupidly went out and bought a Washburn T24 Taurus. Literally the worst bass I have ever layed my hands apon. At the time the prospect of a new bass was just so exciting, I couldn't care less what it was.

6. it slightly changed my mind because I never thought I would be able to have an ash neck, which is great.

7. You bet it has, before I joined TB I just played along with what I had and became encapsulated in my bass playing. Really, I had shut out all kinds of influences, it's kinda sad when I think about it now.

Since joining TB, it's aroused my interest immensely into the different bass makers that are out there and different styles I've come to enjoy. TB had great influence on my decision to purchase my new '08' MIA Fender Jazz V. Yeah, I get tired of the stupid stuff that goes on around here sometimes, but for the most part I'm happy with the forum.;)

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    There are a few people who I would rather not have to speak with on this forum, but in all honesty I don't think there is a friendlier, more civilised forum (on this scale) out there. I was on a large metal (the genre) forum once, and got flamed off for misspelling a bands song title. :rollno: I literally had people calling me names and abusing me for a spelling mistake. It's sad how people act over the internet sometimes. I bet if those guys were standing right in front of my face, 99% of them would have kept their traps shut.

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Yes and for the better in my opinion.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Kinda, I still dig what I've always digged, just ow I know of a whole lot more of it than I used to!

11. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    There is a lot of gearhead talk, things that over the 40+ years that I've played (about 75% of those on bass) that I intuitively have understood, or selected for, but have found the measures, language and specifications here on TB.

It's also provides a good laugh almost everyday.

12. I decided to buy Nordstrand pu for my Fender Sting after I found Richnota's short review. No regrets ) Thank you, Mr. Richnota! )

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    The main thing I've picked up from TB is an appreciation for some little known pieces of gear, or some cooler small companies, and I've definitely learned to shop around for anything I'm in the market for.

Some examples of TB related discoveries include: SX basses (got a P bass, modded the heck out of it and it's great), my Peavey T-40 (currently my main player, really great playing, well built, and unique bass), bayou cables, LDS cabs, and a whole bunch of pedals i can't wait to buy sooner or later.

14. Bass perspective. No.

Bassist perspective. Yes.

:ninja:

15. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No, because it's really the only bass perspective I've had. I joined Talkbass two days after I bought my first bass, so Talkbass is literally the source of 99+% of my bass knowledge.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've learned plenty since joining this site, but my basic taste in basses is the same as it was before joining. Otoh, the effects forum has ruined me forever.

17. It's definately changed me. Not really in my approach to playing, but I'm become much more knowledgable in gear and electronics since I joined. I never was much of a gearhead so its really helped me "catch up" there.

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I still play P-basses with flats and I still despise most SS amps, so not really it hasn't changed my perspective. Did introduce me to some new builders, but I'm relatively simple when it comes to gear.

It did lead me to buy some things I wouldnt have bought, though I would've found similar gear that'd cost me more money.

19. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I wouldn't say my bass choices have changed much from TB, but without a doubt TB has had a huge impact on me getting more into effects.

20. I've learned a LOT on this site, and been exposed to many brands of basses I'd never even heard of. Sadowsky for one. I've bought and sold quite a few basses since I've been on here, but I've also got to try a lot of new things as well. So even though a lot of money has gone out I've gained a lot of experience. It's a bit of a trade off.