1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has your local store stopped carrying Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nicfargo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey gang,

Just trying to get a feel for how bad it is right now to get anything Ampeg. Although I'd say stay away from new stuff from what everyone tells me...how many of your local stores have stopped carrying Ampeg? My local store has quit just because they can't seem to get anything from them in a timely manner...and the new stuff is suspect at best. By local store I mean smaller music store, not Guitar Center. Please put where your local store is located if you could. Just curious if it's a east, midwest, west, or national thing here.

My local store is in Eastern Nebraska.

2. The Wrench

The Wrench

Feb 13, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Raleigh, NC Report:

GC - The largest selection with 10-15 amps, cabs, and combos.

SA - No more than 5 pieces. Me: "Are you guys dropping Ampeg?" Salesman: "They don't tell us anything."

Fat Sound - Stopped carrying Ampeg completely. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Harry's - Some used stuff only. I don't know Harry's position as an Ampeg dealer and didn't have the opportunity to ask.

3. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    My local store in the Northeast is an Ampeg dealer, but doesn't have anything new in stock. The only Ampeg piece they have is a used SVT3-Pro. I will make it a point to ask them whats going on the next time I stop in.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    My local music store has the same Ampegs in their inventory they had for close to a year now. They have not gotten anything new in.

5. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I'll add on the Durham/Chapel Hill report to complete the triangle.

GC (Durham) - 10 -15 total amps / combos / cabs although that had dwindled until a few weeks ago. Still some decent used selection.

Music Loft (Carrboro) - 1 fridge, a 410, and a few heads (at least half used)

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Could be that since Best Buy sells them, other stores can't get inventory, or don't want to bother competing with the big chain store.

LOUD has been concentrating on Mackie - getting all their supplier problems figured out. There have much more sales of Mackie gear over Ampeg. Ampeg could just be the bottom of the pile that they haven't got to yet.

7. dropped

8. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    Never knew Best buy sold ampeg, But your right they do just checked myself.........

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One more NC report here. PC Sound in Eastern NC has a few Ampeg toys. Not giving out any info on the future though. BTW, as far as "suspect" new gear, I OWN a Loud Industries SVT6Pro and have had it checked out by a very good tech. He says that it's fine. He says that the componants a great and it is well built. I have played it out several times with no issues. It's very punchy and CLEAN with tons of head room. I filled a gym-sized room with the master volume on THREE!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    GC in Winter Park just got a bunch of combos in. Sam Ash I think has quit carrying them because I only saw a couple in there that have been there for a while. Bass Central still carries them.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Seriously, what's next? Mesa Boogie at Dollar Store?

13. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    the problem that occured is that ampeg used to be owned by an awesome company named St. Louis Music, about a year and a half or two years ago they were purchased by loud technologies (Mackie) no offense to mackie as i have used a lot of their stuff over the years, but Loud as a whole IMO is not a great organization. Every company tries to cut costs, but they do it by compromising the quality of the equipment, and stock, so they have less, bad equipment to move around, same thing happened with an acoustic guitar company named alvarez, made great guitars even though they were mass produced, and they made the hand made Yairi's as well that were phenomenal same thing...went downhill once loud owned St. Louis Music (alvarez was under St. Louis as well.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, most people by now are aware that LOUD is a company of brain-dead morons, but it does bear repeating.

15. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    My BA115 is in the shop for the 5th time this year. It's warranty work and I'll bet the poor guy hope he never see's another one.