Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has your pick ever cost you a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Friend of mine tried out for a band and they said he sounded good, but him using a pick just didn't "look good!"

I've heard this a lot over the years. I can understand people not liking the sound of a pick, but the look of it???
    He tried to play fingerstyle, but he's got the whole ex-guitarist turned bassist syndrome.

I also have a friend who's really good who got turned down by a local punk band because he wouldn't use a pick!!! "If you don't use a pick and play all downstrokes, then you're not made for punk rock!!"

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A lot of stupid people are forming bands in your area. If a muso sounds good, he/she's got the job, as far as I'm concerned.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    No... but would you really want to work with someone who's understanding of music is based on how things look?

I'm at the front of the queue to say that it's good to be flexible, but if they're not interested in the sounds you can make then you (or your friend) are going to be happier elsewhere. IMHO, don't waste sleep over it and move on.

Wulf

4. A lot of "punks" tend be more interested in the image than the musical content. They started playing to get chicks, anyway.

Find people who care about the music first. You can always build an image later.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Chicks don"t care about pick or fingerstyle, they like winner, who does great music....

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Just as Woodchuck (sort of) elluded to, it just goes to show you that it doesn't take much to start a band these days -- any schmuck can do it.

Pretty sad when a dude gets turned down for a gig because he uses a pick! The next thing you know, you'll be hearing, "Well, you're really good, but you play a Fender and we're only interested in bassists that play Ibanez basses. Sorry."

:rolleyes:

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hategear: This kid traded in a green flamed maple Pedulla MVP to GC for an Ibanez for that reason.

8. Well, they get caught up in a conception of what an "ideal pop-punk band" is. They think if they emulate that concept to the fullest possible extent, they'll get lots of chicks and lots of money.

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I play fingerstyle and with a pick, because I like both sound. When I use one or the other??? depends on the song and the soung I want to get.

I´ve never been turned down because I use a pick, and if i were, probably I would be the one who reject the gig because in music the worst thing you can do is playing with closed-minded people.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's like telling Jeff Healey he can't play in your band because he plays guitar on his lap, even though he could out play a lot of guitarist who play traditional style. :rolleyes:

People who are worrying if a bassist plays with a pick or not because of how it looks or how tr00 probaly don't know much about music to begin with.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I actually did play in a band like that. The head guitarist who was the "boss", told me no Fenders or Gibsons would be allowed. In fact, he did play an Ibanez and as I had an Ibanez SoundGear bass in the same color as his guitar, that's what I played. I left my beautiful five string Tobias at home.

Also, I had played fingerstyle pretty much before joining the band. I was told to play with a pick, so I had to learn to do that. Since leaving that band, I went back to fingerstyle.

I do think it pays to be versatile and flexible about pick and fingerstyle. You might get more gigs if you can play with a pick or fingerstyle too. But if you don't want to change, forget a band that makes rigid demands and has a dictatorial leader. Find one that accepts you the way you are. You'll be happier in the end.

12. I hate playing with a pick. I can get practically the same sound picking with my fingernails. I don't have to worry about breaking or dropping a pick, just my fingernail.

If a band was to turn me down because I don't use a pick, then they must not really want a bassist all that badly.

There is another local bassist, who plays Ibanez and only uses a pick, and I can play circles around him. Funny thing is, he is in a band, I'm not. Does anyone else see the irony?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A couple years ago, I auditioned for a guy who wanted to do a duo, and I took my Amercian Jazz V Deluxe to audition. He said my playing was fine, but he liked the look of a four-string P-bass better. I told him that I have one, and I'd give him a call to jam again. Guess I'd better do that pretty soon.

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The way it should be!:cool:

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tell that to the guy that plays with The Suicide Machines(Fender Jazz + fingers).
    Too, "all downstrokes" is pretty inefficient(wastes 50% of movement, blah). ;)

My "pick" story-
    Years ago, on my first recording experience, I was playing a part for a friend/songwriter wannabe.
    We're in the gargage "studio" & he comes out & tells me, "The engineer is gonna ask you to play with a pick 'cause the bass records better that way".
    Now, just as aside-
    ...I was very hardheaded & stubborn back then & this friend knew it, too. I woulda lasted about 2 days here had Talk Bass existed back in those days. ;)
    He pleaded with me to at least TRY...I was going on about packing my s*** & leaving.
    He convinced the engineer to TRY listening to me without a pick first...anyway, I stuck to my guns & the bass recorded just fine without a pick(I truly believe this engineer was used to only recording guys who employed a muddy tone).
    I learnt him. ;)

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't have much to say about using a pick. I say use an old shoe or the jawbone of an ass if it gets you your sound.

But in an attempt to derail an otherwise fruitful discussion, I would like to make the following statement:

In my life, at one point or another, I have hung with geeks, freaks, metal heads, grungers, trippers, burners, rednecks, hoods, hillbillies, preps, jocks, brains and a few others that I just don't recall what they are supposed to be called. But for some reason, never the punks. So I am ignorant to their norms.

In light of that, I propose the following question:

If being "punk" is about being non-conformist, why do they all look alike?

Chas

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, you do too?

18. in the Iron Maiden biography "Run to the hills", there's a mention of how when recording the debut "Iron Maiden" album the producer tried to get Steve Harris to play with a pick.........:eek:
    SH comments- "I told him where he could stick that".:D

in my original band the drummer once tried to get me to play with a pick on one particular song.
    I conveniently forgot about that, and so did he after a while.
    meanwhile the guitarist often says my fingerstyle bass tone is too trebly:rolleyes:

but I have respect for players who are proficient at both fingerstyle and pick eg. Derek Forbes (simple minds/ sessions etc.) Mike Anthony:eek: (not convinced?- check out the pick playing on "pleasuredome"), Scott Thunes, David Ellefson- and all the well-known guys like John Entwistle, John Paul Jones etc.
    every so often I have a go at playing with a pick- I still can't play Megadeth's "my last words" intro properly with a pick.....

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think a lot of bands from a lot of different genres started out that way...

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    for physical reason, i have to play with a pick. i started out as all fingers, but my hand problems (form many years of drumming) continue to get worse. I had to go to all pick about a year ago, and it's starting to bother me like hell. i'll probably end up as an ex-bassist too. :(