Has your Thunderfunk ever run out of steam

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Oct 31, 2005.

1. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    anybody out there with a thunderfunk ever had a gig that it couldn't handle volumewise? i know everyone says its consevativley rated and i'm sure it is but i'm trying to get a feel for it's limitations as well as its strong points. i play some pretty loud gigs (not metal) and i'd like to get a sense of whether it would work for me or not. i've been jonesing for one for some time. it would look great on top of my shro. 21012. imput appreciated.
  2. Note even close at this point... even when aggressively slapping with no PA support in a large room with a busy and relatively loud band. That being said... I don't play with guitarists with Marshall's, etc..... so my idea of loud might be different from other's reality.
  3. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've played all kind of gigs with the Thunderfunk including outside gigs...never had any volume problems...though, the amp doesn't sound as BIG as higher rated amps, but the Thunderfunk is punchy and has a great ability to cut through...
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a TFB420, and the answer is no.
    The TFB550 can only be better.
  5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I haven't found the TFB550 limiting in any way, at least at this point.
  6. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    thanks for the imput guys. what do you think of the onboard limiter. does it cover your needs. personally i use a bit of compression and i have a unit that i am very pleased with, but it would be great to have one less component to worry about. as my technique has progressed i have come to want more of a peak limiter than a full blown compressor. something that compresses slightly and chops the peaks off the slaps and pops, yet leaves the lower volume stuff alone. (a soft note is quieter) if that makes any sense.
  7. I actually find the compressor/limiter on the TF to be a little hard to control (compared, for example, to the wonderful compression unit in the EBS heads). It's similar to the older Eden circuit, IMO.... it works pretty well the way I use it... to just take the extreme peaks off the input when really grinding on the B string. However, it does not seem to have enough control if you are a player that uses significant compression as part of his/her sound.... again IMO.
  8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I'd get wood if Dave built a TFB1000:

Same as the TFB550 But:

Two Power Amps both 500 watts @ 4 ohms

Bridgable @ 8 ohms (800 watts) and @ 4 ohms (1,000 watts)

It would probably weigh 22 - 24 lbs. but I would buy one site unseen and unheard just based on recommendations from other TF users.

THe Eden's I am looking at are the WT800B (26 lbs.) and the WT1205 (28 lbs.) and my Eden Navigator/WT-1000 setup is 40 lbs.

Dave!! PLEASE, PEASE, PLEASE!???? :hyper:
  9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey Big Mike;
    Neat ideas, but I think you would pay a significant weight penalty over the current single channel 500 watt model...
  10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Sure, about 7 - 10 lbs. I'll take that any day.

I amdownsizing from my HUGE rack withe Eden Nav/Wt-1000.

I have been looking at the Eden WT800 and WT1205 so I am already willing to lug 26 - 28 lbs of head.

A Tfunk would probably be 22 - 25 or so. I am fine with that. I want the power and headroom.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

12. Or perhaps a version that will do 2 ohms?
  13. I just don't get all this 2ohm talk. I've never run a 2ohm load in my life.... the only reason I can see doing it is if you have 2 4ohm cabs... but most people who use multiple cabs have 8ohm cabs.

Plus... when really pushing an amp at 2ohms... even if it can run 'safely'... doesn't the distortion increase (i.e., the quality of the increased wattage diminishes).

Again... I'm probably not understanding something... but back in the day, an amp that only put out its full rated power at 2ohms was considered a negative... not a positive... ?
  14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Another guy who's never needed a 2 ohm capability...
  15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I could use a 2 ohm head only because I got a hell of a deal on a Aggie GS212 4 ohm and GS112 8 ohm (= 2.67 ohms when run together). I would not have bought the cabs new that way, but that's what I have now...
  16. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I can't really see a need for 2 ohms either. Most heads have a preamp out anyway: why not just add a cheap power amp to power your other cabs when you need to run 3 or 4?
  17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

If someone would like to have an amp that runs safely down to 2ohms theres nothing wrong with that. :meh:

Heck you guys sound like the same voices of dissent that balked at why someone might want more than 4 strings, more than 100 watts, more than one pickup. :eyebrow:

Just relax and let a guy have his wishlist. Besides, if it'll do 2ohms, it'll do 4ohms just fine! :cool:

Whew... :bag:
  18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
  19. Precisely! Similar boat here. I have a 4 ohm Schroeder 1212 and a 8 ohm Epi 210. How else can I run these with a single head if it won't do 2 ohms? Already doing the heavy pre/power rig but would sure love to downsize to a single head that is capable. I know there are some choices out there but why can't we pine for the best?
  20. Yes... I'm starting to smell a little bit of a rat with these '2ohm' capable amps.

It seems that there are two types of 2ohm claims.

The first, and IMO more legitimate one, is the way EA and iAmp spec out their amps. For example, the iAmp800 (note the name '800') puts out its 'full' advertised wattage (800 watts) into the typical 4ohm load. However, they state that you can run the amp down to 2ohms if you want.

The second, and less legitimate IMO, is Genz Benz600, and certain Mesa (BB 750) and EBS (TC650) amps that list the 2ohm power output as the 'default' output of the amp.

This becomes even more confusing with Mesa and EBS, since some amps in their lines (EBSHD350 and MPulse600) list 'full' wattage at 4ohms, etc.

Can any of the techies out there shed some light on this? Specifically, for transistor power amps:

1) Does '2ohm capable' mean that an amp is 'more robust'... i.e., does a 2ohm capable amp run more cool at 4ohms than a 4ohm minimum capable amp.

2) All other things being equal (which I know rarely happens).... is an amp that puts out its maximum 500 watts at its minimum 4ohm capable load the same as a similar amp that puts out 500 watts at its minimum 2ohm capable load (of course, the 4ohm to 8ohm comparison would also be similar).

Put another way... is a '2ohm watt' typically equivalent spec-wise to a '4ohm or 8ohm watt'?

Thanks in advance.