Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hat pegs

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by randomname, Dec 21, 2005.

1. randomname

randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Ok, quick question:
    What is the reasoning behind the hat peg style tuners? The bass I'm renting has these and I can't see any structural reason for them.

Cheers

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    They are vestigial. No structural reason for them. Stick one in your ear though an its easy to tune when theres a lot of other noise.

3. I bought my first bass based largely on fact that it had hat pegs. I thought they looked cool. The rest of the bass was a mess, but the hat pegs looked cool.

4. pumpmuppet

pumpmuppet

Nov 17, 2005
    London
    So there's no practical reason for them then?

(Managed to knock my head on them when I first got the bass. A little embarrassing!)

5. I guess they're just decorative throwbacks to the days before mechanical tuners, when basses had peg-style tuners like violins, violas and cellos are still stuck with (though I have seen some cellos with bass-style tuners).

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    They're really good for hanging your watch on at eye level, when you're really rushing to scram from a bad wedding gig.....

7. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I wonder if anyone has determined whether or not there are any sound benefits of the wood hat-type tuners vs. metal shafts.

I do agree they look cool though!!

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I got a feelin it's a bit like the bridge adjusters/wooden endpin/whatever debates......I think maybe there'd be a diff. between them and really really heavy metal tuners.....my speculation

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Well, it depends whether the pegs are laminated, hybrid (laminated only in the back), or fully carved. If fully carved, Eastern European spruce pegs are reputed to sound the best but only if an oil-based finish is used. Maple pegs are, in general, second best. Also, the weight ratios among the four wooden pegs should match the inverse of the fundamantel frequency ratios of the strings such that the "G-peg" is lighter than the others.

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I find it inconceivable that hat pegs make any difference in sound.

They are very pretty, though... I especially like them on a new instrument.

11. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    :D I luv them hat pegs!

12. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I like them a lot too. I think they grip the windings a little better than brass, and I prefer the larger diameter shafts. I don't have them on the bass I've got now, but I'd consider installing them if I needed to. Although, I've grown maybe a little more fond of the French gears that pass-through the opposite cheek.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Usually the Hat Peg gears are on cheaper worm and cog tuners like the old german stuff. I bought a new set of Rubners, the best I could find, for my Batchelder. Not as good as the look pretty. My Martini came over from Italy with the Rubners as well and I changed them out. The Brass Gears like the fine English, Sloan or Krutz are way better than any HatPeg system I have seen.

14. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Never seen any Krutz, but the Sloans are nice. They are too expensive, as are most other than the cheap Tyrolean's, but nice nonetheless.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Here are some pics of the Krutz Gears on Basses of mine past and present;

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/SoloBass/images/sb1.JPG
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/ShenBass/images/scrollright.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MorelliBass/images/683.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MartiniBass/extG.jpg
    http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/GilkesBass/538.jpg

16. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those look the same as the ones on my bass. They must be the tuners that Arnold uses.

Very, very smooth... but it can take a while to tune up a bass with them, I think due to the ratio.

17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    It took those pics for me to put 2+2 together and figure out that Krutz is Anton Krutz with KC Strings. What a maroon. :rollno:

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Maroon is one of my favorite colors too.. lol

BTW, the Krutz gears are 40:1 ratio. I think Arnold does something with the handles which looks at least as nice.