Hate do this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Sep 12, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I read the stickys and everything but I think I need more specific advice. Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.

Anyway, I'm starting a band with 2 other guitarists and a drummer. My friend Joe, who is one of the guitarists (and a very good one I might add) has been in bands before, gigged, the whole nine yards. We plan on playing smaller venues once we're confident with our material, which will include some covers.

Anyway let me skip to the point. Our main style will be Rock/Metal with alot inbetween, kind of a mix between alot of things. I plan on purchasing an ESP Bass, or maybe an Ibanez but first i thought itd be wise to get the nessesary ampage first. What would be an ideal cab/head setup, resonable price, and the wattage I need for small gigs. Thanks alot guys
  2. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Try a yorkville, fender or ampeg combo... those might be good a good starting point.
  3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    The most common reponse to that question will be, "What's your budget?" From thereb a TBer will be able to help you narrow it down more.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Avatar 212 with the Mag 300 deal. www.avatarspeakers.com
    Dr.Bass makes good cabs for the price as well. I dunno their website; do a search. And the Steelsound cabs have gotten pretty good reviews recently. Do a search for that website as well.
  5. +1 on Avatar. The other choices mentioned are good too but my experience with Avatar is very positive. I would suggest the B212 deltaLF (great standalone cab) with an Ashdown or Hartke head.
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Buy it all used !
  7. used is the way to go in what your looking for. You can get a good used head/cab for well under 500. with a little luck you can find really good deals.
  8. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks alot for the insight guys
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Go with the Avatar rig. The 212 is the best cab on its own. However, I recommend getting it in 8ohms, just in case a single 2x12 isnt enough for you if you ever get into large gigs.

It'd basically leave you the option to expand your rig with a second cabinet in the future.... which, I must say, is a very handy option to have.
  10. I used a simular rig fender head and peavey cab I know alot of people here seemed to have had that cab. its heavey lots of low end ( 18 what else did you expect) but it seemed to cut through when I had it. although I would suggest a different head. if the cab is in good condition I would go for it,