1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hate if you want, but I dig Ne-Yo.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Usually, 50 weeks out of every year I live under a rock, digging on music from Meshuggah, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Burnt Infant, and the like - but during Thanksgiving and Christmas, I visit my family in Texas, and my little sister exposes me to... pop music.

My sister listens to nothing but whatever the radio or American Idol tell her to. Most of it is wretched, overproduced, and over the top obvious, with little to no redeeming merit whatsoever. Yet, this week I was turned on to Ne-Yo.

I have to say I can't hate him. He actually writes his own material (and writes material for a bunch of other pop stars), his music isn't produced to death, and he can actually sing without the omnipresent digital pitch correction. It's pretty clever stuff.

I've had his Miss Independent song running through my head for the last 4 days, and I'm not sick of it yet. I know, I've probably lost any and all credibility I might have ever had. I'll never be able to run for office now.

http://www.myspace.com/neyo

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Good.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. I'll give it a listen. I suspect that though he may write it and sing without the digi-crutches it might not be my cup of tea, but I will give it a fair shake and not revoke any of the credibility I have for you regardless of the outcome. *

*Unless it's really, really bad.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I like a few of his songs. So Sick is my fav. of his.