Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hate to do it, but i gotta sell my Conklin Gt-7

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by DEFELDUS, Mar 1, 2004.

1. hey guys. ive had this bass about 3 weeks and i have come to the conclusion that its just not for me. ive been having lots of wrist pains since i started playing it and i feel really uncomfortable with the neck. i love having 7 strings, but i definitely need a smaller neck. there is absolutely nothing wrong with this bass. the only cosmetic difference is that there is an added strap button hole that was there when i got it. no scratches or dings that i know of.

im asking for a bit less than i paid, plus shipping.
    $800 plus $40 shipping would cover this. preferred method of payment would be paypal. heres a pic, i can get more if you want (ill email them to you. request what kind of pic you want and ill get it.)

[​IMG]

EDIT: i decided id pay half of the shipping. so 800 and 20 for shipping and its yours.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Say it aint so man :(

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had the "zack same" problem. Made me sad that I couldn't hang with the flight deck, but if I get a Stick or something I'll feel better again, I'm pretty sure =0)

don't feel bad - there should be a small support group or something. :D

4. :crying: its so man

i really hate to sell it, because its a lovely bass and i have so much fun with 7 strings, but im scared if i keep it ill end up with carpal tunnels... i know theres probably a better way to play it than i know, but i really feel like the neck on this thing is not for me. im just not comfortable with it.

anyways, interested parties can post here, email, or PM me. ill get back to you as soon as i get your message.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    don't feel too sad defeldus - i'm not too comfortable on the big necks either. give a bill dickens sig model a shot some time - they are tighter at the nut, and much more comfortable to the fretting hand.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    on the other hand, (no pun intended) there might be an issue with your technique that could be aggravating this problem. that's not meant to be a slight against you defeldus, but just a point to ponder - one can get away with bad technique on a 4 string a bit easier, but the 7's really demand proper fretting technique.

you may need to re-evaluate how high you wear the instrument, and what angle you have the neck relative to your body. depending on your playing style on 4, the 7 may require a complete revamp of your playing style, but the rewards are worth it. :) i'd be more than happy to give you hand with it if you want - shoot me a pm :)

7. thanks JT. ive always worn my basses high (my friends actually pick on me about it), and at about a 45 degree angle. i have no doubt technique might be a problem, but something about this neck just doesnt feel right for me. i still want to try the BD (as you said, tighter spacing) but i feel that for now i would do better on a 5 (maybe tuned E-C) or tight spaced 6. not really sure what i want, but i know the Gt-7 just isnt for me.

and yeah, CT would definitely be bad news for me, considering i will begin my jazz studies major on electric and upright next year...

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, that's definitely cool - if you are having hand issues then you need to stop asap. definitely don't want to hurt yourself, could have consequences far down the road. :)

9. bump! :)

10. and again

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cmon peeps help a man out ;) Im sure hes eager to find a replacement/more comfy bass so chop chop!

12. hey guys, i think ive decided on a replacement. i think im going with a lakland 55-01 deluxe, cherry burst, maple fb. ive heard nothing but good things bout them and i think it'll fit me a little better (they're similar to fenders, which is all ive ever really played) now i just gotta call up gard :)

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice decision man. Thats definitely a bass i could see myself owning one day (4 or 5 string). Nice.... nice nice nice

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about a G&L L-2500? Those can get ANY sound.

15. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Any intrest in a musicman sabre?

16. sorry, no interest in the sabre.

i did consider a G&L, but a new one would be out of my price range. i would however, scoop up a used one if it were aesthetically pleasing to me. off to do some searching...

17. Used Cirrus 5 or 6 :)

Good luck sellling David.

18. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Man, that baby is tempting. If I had the cash, I'd take 'er off your hands right here and now. If she hasn't found a good home in a couple of months, consider it sold.

19. 2 interested, but nothing final. its here the rest of the week then its off to evilbay...

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Def-there's one for $700 here i saw you PMed the guy. I hear the Tribute's are really quality.