Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hate to do this, but need advice on a 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Im a sock, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi all,
    I've been searching for this topic for two days now and I just cant find the answer I'm looking for, so here goes.

My current rig is an SWR SM-500 with a Goliath III cab. Lately my metal band's shows have been getting bigger and bigger, and my jazz band's shows are also getting a little more involved, so I need a little more flexibility with my rig.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 210 cab. For the big metal shows I can use all 6 10's, for the jazz stuff just the 2 10's, and anything in between the 4 10's could be used. I'm looking for something in the range of less than $600, new or used. I don't think it needs to have a tweeter, because that's covered on the Goliath III anyways, and I dont necessarily need to stick with the SWR brand name.

Anyways, any suggestions would be useful to me.... especially because there is a huge shortage of 210 cabs in all my local music stores. Thanks in advance for any advice and thanks also for reading this huge thing.

-Jon

2. Why not try a Goliath Jr?They sound good and would match up with your Goliath III.You could get a used one for $350-$400.If you need more low end an Eden 210XLT is a great speaker,it's a little warmer than the Goliath Jr.Also the SWR and Edens stack well.Eden 210 XLTs go for around $400-450 used in good condition.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am selling my Goliath Jr 2x10 and Son of Bertha 1x15 for $600 for the pair. Check the classified's "For Sale" forum for more info.

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have to say I have heard a lot of really good things about Avatar speakers. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    Do a search here.
    Also FYI there is a amazing sale on Ernie Ball 2x12's on E Bay right now. It really is a increadable deal. I would have bought one instead of the Avatar 210 if it weren't for it's weight. Do a search for Ernie Ball Music Man Audiophiles here. And check out E Bay!!!!!! $350 for a $1000 cab.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Until this year I gigged with a pair of SWR Goliath Junior III's, and loved 'em. Excellent tone/quality/price ratio, and they're lighter than most 2x10 cabs. The only reason I sold 'em was because I moved up to a significantly more expensive brand (heavier, too... oh well).

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can vouch for the Eden 2-10XLT. I have two of them, and in the past I've used just one cab for most small- to medium-sized gigs.

7. I think you best choice would be a SWR Goliath Jr. It's gonna match right up with what you already have. There are several for sale used and you should have no trouble finding one either new or used.