Hate to do this......

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Hey everybody, this is my first post.

As I wrote, I really hate to do this because it sounds so "newbie-ish" and because this sort of thing has been asked a million times, but I have a very specific question:

On my SX Fretless Jazz bass, I'm looking for new passive pups. I'm thinking Ultra Jazz, Custom Shop '60s, Fender Noiseless, or Bart Classic Bass.

I know that the cost of the pups will be almost as much as the bass itself, but I just want to choose the best pickup for this bass. I play funk/jazz and am looking for a deep, energetic tone, without muddy-ness.

(BTW, I'm actually surprised at how well the bass sounds already, but obviously, I want to achieve the best sound possible.)

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id suggest the Ultra Jazz pickups.
  3. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005

Any particular reason? Own them, played them, etc?
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1 for the Ultra Jazzes. I have them on a custom jazz now, and they are super hot with a ton of clarity. No mud to be found anywhere. They're a bit scooped, which gives a great slap tone. They also have a ton of bass for single coils.
  5. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005

I'm pretty sure that those will fit in my bass without much hassle.

However, I'm not sure how to install them. Should I just ask the guys at Guitar Center to help/recommend a person to install them? Or can someone explain to me the procudure?

(I already have a soldering iron.)

If anyone has any more advice on which pups to get, I'd love to hear more.

6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Replacing pickups is pretty easy. All you have to do is pay attention when you take them apart, and wire up the new pickups where the old ones used to be. I recommend replacing one, then the other. That way you have an example to go off of, still.