1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hate to see this first thing in the morning...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bonafide, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Endorsing Artist: Carr Amps, FTT, Custom Tones, BIAB, Nick Silver, Many others...
    Dead battery! Walk into the studio for a morning recording session...2 nights in a row I have left this plugged in all night! Not really a 'problem' as a whole, but this week...I keep 'forgettin'...! Two days in a row! Love the tones, but only active bass I own that does not have a passive switch or passive mode. Gotta change that soon!

TRBJP2_plug.

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    It'll take a third time for you to learn to unplug it.
    Even a passive switch doesn't disconnect the battery.
    It still drains when plugged in.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thats why take spare everything when I went to a studio: spare cables, strings, batteries, etc.

P. Aaron, whero, OogieWaWa and 5 others like this.
  4. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Endorsing Artist: Carr Amps, FTT, Custom Tones, BIAB, Nick Silver, Many others...
    LOL, I hear ya man, I don't plan on losing another battery this week! It's not a real issue - just swapping between 7 or 8 basses this week. As far as active / passive bypass. It's a mod I have done for years. Orignally cam stock on my Ibanez MC924. All my active basses disconnect the battery with an active / passive switch. Completely bypass the active pre leaving a passive tone or vol only, plugged in or no.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Always....

6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    D'oh!!

kobass, Spidey2112 and Bonafide like this.
  7. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Yeah hate when that happens. I keep a stock of Duracells on hand.

For similar reasons, I just installed a motion detection light switch in my closet at home. It turns off the lights after 1 minute of no motion, i.e. when I leave the room. I was leaving the light on all day and it was bugging me.

Bonafide likes this.
  8. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    Leave it to a bassist to post a "first thing in the morning" thread at 1:38pm :cool:

(i am aware of time zones and such, please just let me have my fun :cigar:)

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Why spend money modding a bass when all you have to do is remember to do one thing!!!

gebass6, mcnach, BobKos and 2 others like this.
  10. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    LOL! I wish I did only have one thing to remember! Still, I enjoy modding and I won't permanently alter the bass if I do. I have developed a habit of turning off the battery when it goes on the stand. The two moves go hand in hand. Works for me since I may be picking it up again in 10 minutes, 30 minutes, one hour etc. What I don't have is a habit of unplugging when it goes on the stand because then I would have to mute the source as well.

Nevada Pete, Spidey2112 and chris_b like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

little tiny :poop: happens. good luck remembering your cable is plugged in! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Bonafide like this.
  12. Doh

Bonafide likes this.
  13. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Sometimes this is pretty much the most accurate and articulate!

14. If you use a guitar stand, as shown in the pic, install a mercury switch in the active electronics power lead.
    When the bass is on the stand, the power is cut off.

15. Obviously this is why I don’t play a passive bass, because I would do the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Kukulkan61 likes this.
  16. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I do this all of the time, especially if I’ve had a little libation. Doesn’t seem to drain the battery too much.

Bonafide likes this.
  17. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Cheers, but I don't follow what you mean...??

TN WOODMAN and nilorius like this.
  18. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    I had to google 'Libation'! :) True, usually it's OK, but two nights in a row. Duracell death. I think mostly it made me aware of how much I appreciate the passive option!

Spent likes this.
  19. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Happy to help you learn a new word, I like the obscurity of it. Battery drain is probably preamp related. My Yamaha seems to go easy on batteries and fortunately it had a passive switch if one dies on me. My Spectors seem to be less forgiving.

Bonafide likes this.
  20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

And this is one of the many reasons I've gone passive