Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hate to sound like a newbie, but....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Gann, May 19, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey folks, I need an amp. So, here are my requirements:

• enough power to run two cabs, preferably 400-500+ watts
    • able to go from transparant and clean to thick, warm, and a little bit gritty
    • under $1,000 dollars
    • speakon jacks (preferably)
    • 4 ohm impedance for my 2 8 ohm cabs

My two cabs are an Ernie Ball HD210 and an Ernie Ball HD212, 350w RMS and 600w RMS respectively, both are 8 ohm cabinets.

Im open to anything. I have gotten suggestions for the Eden WT-500, EBS Fafner, Carvin r1000, and a power-pre setup. Any other suggestions, or votes for those already suggested?

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Nick

[EDIT] I meant to say Eden WT-550 up there, but said WT-500 by mistake ;)

2. Ampeg SVP-Pro -> QSC RMX 1450.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Pearce BC-1 >>> QSC PLX 2402 :D Of course the Pearce hasn't been available for a while...but it sure sounds good to me (and it has footswitchable channels).

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you DID just outline the specs of the WT-550. You'd have a tough time doing better than that.

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    There's an SWR SM400S over in the classifieds going for $485. 250watts stereo at 4 ohms, 550 mono at 4 ohms. Features a 4 band parametric EQ, a handy transparency knob for when the treble gets a little too hot,the trademark Aural Enhancer, and all the features you love about SWR. It can be crystal clear... but crank up the low mids and the bass and you can get a great rock tone too. It'll do just about anything you want. No speakons though; sorry. 1/4 inch jacks for stereo, banana plug for mono.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    $600 preamp of your choice -> Carvin DCM1000

for the preamp - you basically described the interstellar overdrive, but i'd probably also check out the sansamp RBI and ampeg svp.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Go with the Fafner. Superb sounding amp. The clean sound is to die for. The OD sounds make the best OD-pedals feel ashamed.;)

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You just sounded like someone who knows what they're talking about, not a newbie!

A newbie would say

"i waNNa a B1g m0FO Amp r3al loud lykE fLeA"

or some such crap.

I would recommend searching for an amps for a sound you ilke rather thanm the spec. Most manufacturers make a large range of amps so you can usually get one to fit.

Also, most amps colour the sound to some degree, it all depends if you like what any parti9culatr amp does to the sound of your bass. For instance, I dont like Edens all that much - I bought my current amp - EA iAMP600 over an Eden becaus ethe Eden sound the same to me whatever you put into it. I detest trace elliot - they are, IMO, the most dreadful sounding tinny,**** amps on the face of the planet. I truly HATE them!!!

I would also recommend being very careful about buying a head with a valve power amp - they are damned heavy and if you gig alot this will soon lose it's appeal! :)

9. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
  10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone :)

A few questions:

To those who suggested the SVP-Pro with poweramp, how does it do clean? From what I have heard, Ampeg isn't known for its clean sounds.

To jasonbraatz, will I be able to get an IOD and a poweramp for under $1,000? I know that SWR stuff is pretty pricey, new and used.

And Howard K, I agree, I don't want a tube/valve power section, like you said, the weight. I like tube preamp though..

Any other suggestoins or support for certain things?

Thanks

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Whoop there it is.:)

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have been thinking about the Fafner, from the good reviews I have seen, and the recommendations. That said, will I be able to find one under $1K?

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would seriously consider Eden. I feel Eden has the edge over SWR in being able to give a warm deep sound, as well as very clear sounding voice. The sound seems to sit perfectly in a band situation. As many amps as I have owned or played, I keep coming back to Eden. Check them out!!

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You want clean... get a Demeter preamp. I am using a Demeter with those same EB MM cabinets you have. Sounds great.

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can the Demeter do the dirty work as well? I play in different environments, from jazz and solo stuff to rock and metal. I want clean as well as dirty. Just wondering, what power amp do you have?

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I use a Hafler Pro5000 power amp. The Demeter->Hafler is the setup BP mag uses as one of their reference rigs, which is the reason I bought the Hafler. I don't believe Hafler makes the Pro5000 any longer. My rig sounds great, but if you want "dirty" perhaps you should look for something else.

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, from all of the suggestions thus far, from this thread and other places, the Eden WT-550 has the biggest following. I am going to try to get my mitts on one, see if it works for me.

I'm still open to any new suggestions to look into.

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know in this High Tech world of agiulars and edens and EA's and all kinds of stuff, a great amp you can get easily for under 1000 is the Ampeg SVT-3Pro. at 4 ohms its 450 watts, and there is now way the human ear could handle this thing at half volume. it is lound, and it sounds amazing. All tube preamp (i know in the specs it usually says 3x12AX7's, but there are also 2 more 12AU7's in it, one for the Tube Gain knob and another at the end of the Preamp stage.) mos-fet power amp... 3 band parametric EQ with Mid selector PLUS 9 band graphic EQ... and when you enable the Graphic EQ (footswitchable) it doesn't kill the Parametrics. I found this amp for 350 dollars and bought it right away. Get one, you will totally love it. I promise.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for the suggestion. How versatile is the SVT-3pro? Can it go clean as well as dirty?

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If not the Fafner, how about the EBS TD650? It's somewhat more portable. I haven't heard this one, and I'm unsure how much it costs, but I was very impressed by the TD350. Dunno how well it does the "dirty" thing, though. On the other hand, though I like Edens (I have a WT400), I don't know how well they do the dirty thing either.

Have you thought about a SansAmp bass preamp (I forget the model number), possibly used, plus a good power amp (e.g., Carvin DCM or QSC PLX or RMX)? That might be your best bet for range of sound and relative portability.