Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hatebreed bass tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by panazza, Feb 13, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I listened to an hatebreed record and I pretty liked the bass tone... I found a similar bass tone on machine head records....

I just wonder how to get that tone (just curious...)...

To me it doesn't seem like a valve amp, maybe a solid state amp running at high gain? or is it some kind of distortion (pedal)?

if someone has suggestions... thanks!

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    having lots of money to record is how you get that sound.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    More or less. The guy uses (IRC) an ESP bass and an Ampeg rig. I dunno if the ESP is stock or has "real" EMG pickups, but either way you cut it, "average" is about the only way to describe the live tone (I'm glad I was there to see other bands, I tell you what). I wasn't paying attention to see if he had anything in his rack, as I was being pummeled by a bunch of bully rock/hatecore kids at the time.

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    apart from considerations on money to record or how much do you like/hate that band/sound....

I noticed that's an... average tone for metal bands, many metal bassists sound that way, but I don't know how to get that sound.... I thought it was a solid state amp, maybe with the mids scooped and using the bridge pickup??and of course a pick??

5. Probably an Ampeg SVT 4 or 5, with an SVT 8x10 cab.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's about par for course, metal wise. Many of them are solid state amps with tube preamps sections, though. By and large it is the bridge pickup and pick being used. Usually because the meat of the neckpickup is being occupied (sonically) by the detuned guitars. A lot of them boost the low-mids for this reason. Scooping the mids is usually what the guitarists do, so a lot of bassists compensate by boosting their own mids for a piece of the mix.

However, in the studio...who knows what he used, how it was EQed, and what was all done to it.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the term "bully rock" made me laugh.

um, it is an esp or an ltd. probably an ampeg 8x10 and an svt 4 or 5 pro. i can tell you that most of that awesome sound was because of the high end studio they went to.