1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Haters of Tesh,Manilow,Kenny.G,Yanni..etc

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Over the years I have heard people make fun of Tesh, Manilow, Kenny G, and Yanni....I guess I am curious as to why the haten...all of these indivduals are actually Musicans who can Actually play, and play very well, and have hugh followers, but its like to some, they are a joke, I Think the most fierce attack..(for lack of a better term) came against Kenny G. about his music not really being jazz, etc...and one report I read, the guy really was blasting Kenny G for even having the nerve to call his music jazz..is this like all the Chuck Norris jokes going around, people make fun of him, but people know if push came to shove, Chuck could kick their "you know what" I was also going to put Fiedly of Korn in the topic as well, but I think that would have just been overkill.........

2. Kenny G is the anti-Chuck Norris.

3. O.T., but your sig. disgusts me....and at the same time I can't stop smiling. That's good stuff.:D

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I don't like Manilow, but I can appreciate what he's doing.

The others...overproduced and cheesy sounding least common denominator swill. The music really does make me die inside. I'm not exaggerating. There is a TON of music like this, but they get beat up because they are popular and very visible targets. Kind of like there are actors as bad and worse than Ben Affleck but he gets hammered because of his celebrity status.

5. Yeah. But Affleck was the Bomb in Phantoms.:p

6. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    Manilow rocks.. No one should hate Manilow.

Those other people couldn't hold his jock.

7. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm one of those freaks that does listen to Yanni and all them (In addition I also listen to most anything - from pantera to zappa to garth brooks to beethoven). It is just nice "fluffy bunny music" (My term for fun happy new ageish yanni / kitaro / etc music). I think a lot of people hate him for being so successful, either that or his haircut & mustache.

On a side note, I absolutely love the bass solo in the middle of "the rain must fall" on "live at the acropolis". It is just so perfect there.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    To me, someone like Kenny G. might play tech, well?
    But music has no soul.
    After ten min. your ready to go home.
    And that silly smile while he plays?

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Musicianship to me is secondary to content.

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Chuck Norris is music, and he writes the songs. :bag:

11. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    He writes the songs that makes the whole... world sing.....

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They sell records, but I don't expect to see any of them at Ozzfest. They are just the ones Rockers love to hate.

13. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    Jesus Christ son.... if you wanna know why people hate John Tesh.... listen to one of his cds...

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Manilow, while a bit schlocky, has talent, and I don't dislike him - although I won't go out of my way to listen to him.

Yanni's stuff is a bit repetetive and boring at times, but is well executed, and he seems to be genuine about playing it. It's what he "hears" or "feels" in music, and I can respect it, if not enjoy it.

Tesh is sonic wallpaper, not horrible, but not moving either.

Kenny G actually WAS a musician at one time. He, as Kenny GROLNICK played with Jeff Lorber back in the 70's, and was a fair to middling sax player. He sold his soul (what little he had) in the 80's to make complete drivel, in an attempt to create adult-contemporary instrumental music, and succeeded. He was an annoyance to me (nothing will drive me up a wall faster than a bunch of out-of-tune bad-note-choices as-many [bad and out of tune] -notes-as-I-can-play-in-as-short-a-time-as-possible soprano sax solos), like a fly in the room that I just can't catch with my chopsticks. I did not hate him at that point however, I just made it a point to not be where his "music" was.

But, then he crossed a line. There are just some things that are sacred, even in music, and one of those things is the music and voice of Louis Armstrong. When Satan's emissary to instrumental music recorded his wheedling, harmonically inept, out of tune drivel solo over Armstrong's singing, well, he became "the enemy" in my opinion. For a more in depth diatribe, from a much more eloquent and appropriate source, check out what Pat Metheny had to say...just google Pat Metheny & Kenny G, it's both hysterically funny and deadly accurate. Knowing Pat's demeanor, some of what he says is pretty shocking, but he's RIGHT. Kenny G is a musical turd floating in the cesspool of "commercial music" - good stuff can come from that "cesspool" (sometimes turds make great fertilizer), but nothing good will ever come from Kenny G. Ever.

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1

16. But he's HILARIOUS whenever he's on Conan!

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I dunno. I hear you, but I kinda disagree. I read the Pat Metheny thing. Yeah, I laughed. Yeah, it was uncomfortably accurate at some points IMO. And yeah, I probably like Kenny G's music even less than you do, if that's possible. But at the same time, there was something, again IMO, kinda hysterical and basically pointless about Metheny's rant. My take on it was that in a weird way, Metheny was being overprotective. I don't buy the "sacred" stuff. To treat art like a religious icon is to mummify it IMO.

The thing is, from my POV, Armstrong's music doesn't need you, me, or Pat Metheny to stick up for it. It is so strong on its own terms that it doesn't need protecting. It can easily withstand anything Kenny G can throw at it. So it's a waste of time to get all hysterical about it. Call it a terrible record if we want--I certainly think it is--but Armstrong's music can stand up for itself. Ever had a girlfriend who got pissed when you acted like she couldn't stand up for herself? This is maybe a little like that. To me, the suggestion that Armstrong's music isn't capable of standing up to anything Kenny G can do is almost, in a weird way (and not intentionally, of course), not giving it the respect it deserves.

And actually, I think the implication I've seen that Kenny G did this for commercial reasons is utterly bizarre. The guy's been selling tons of records for years now; does he really need to hop on the Armstrong bandwagon (and where is that bandwagon, exactly?) to make some bucks? I mean, is doing a necrophiliac duet with Louis Armstrong, of all people, supposed to be the surefire way to the big buxx? If that's a sellout, it's a pretty lame one. He'd have done better to have done a necroduet with Sinatra, or maybe Elvis or Lennon or Cobain. Personally, I think G's record was intended as a sincere compliment, however misguided. I still ain't gonna buy it, because it sucks, but to me, the general outrage is misplaced.

Just my $0.02.

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Richard, I don't think he did that to Louis' song for financial reasons, I think he may have even INTENDED it to be a compliment. However, it also implies that he is a talent of the same stature, and to the musically uneducated out there that hear this crap, it may actually raise him, in their minds, to being an equal of Armstrong's, musically.

This I find serious fault with, as Mr. Grolnick is not now, nor has he ever been, nor will he ever be, competent enough to carry Louis' trumpet case, even if it were empty.

(For the record: Neither am I, the difference is, I KNOW THIS!)

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't really think it implies that at all. I can think of hundreds of duets where the two performers were not IMO of the same stature. Sometimes people do this stuff just because they want to. All this really implies is that G wanted to be on a record with Armstrong and found a way to make that happen, albeit in a lame and necrophiliac way.

As far as impressionable people being led to think that G and Armstrong are on the same level, well, my bias is that if they can't hear the difference, they're not gonna know it if you tell them either, and they wouldn't be protected from that misconception if this record didn't exist. Again, I dislike what G did. I just don't think it merits the hysteria I've seen, nor do I think Kenny G is the devil incarnate. What I think that record merits, actually, is being ignored.

20. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Even though mr. g "butchers" it, it probably exposed a ton more people to mr. armstrong's music. Perhaps some of them decided to go look into more of his (armstrong's) works..