1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have 4 BASSES, need to get rid of TWO. Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rossiman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    My recent purchase of a Modulus flea has forced me to eliminate some of my collection in order to return to having something in my bank account:
    I have 4 basses and can only keep 2

Modulus Flea bass 4 Blue sparkle obp/basslines 2003
    Fender Jazz Bass deluxe MIM cream white 2003
    Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass white/tortoise 2008
    Fleabass model 32 green/pink

Here was my logic..I have always wanted a jazz bass for more formal occasions and a funk/mm bass.
    I had the fleabass and squier but wanted to upgrade the both.
    The fender would replace the squier, the modulus the fleabass.

But i fell in love with the look and cleanliness of the squier (and the passives since my modulus/fendeer have enough activeness to make someone deaf) and I guess I got the fender because of its namebrand and because of its similarity to the squier.. but not so much with the active.

Now I got the modulus and it sounds sextastical, like someone on the site has said like a "T-rex vomiting thunder". I for sure want to keep it but then I play around with my fleabass and Ive had it more a little over a year but im still attached to that so so good sounding passive funk mm-style...and im worried bc its such a unique bass (fleabass just went out of business) I was hoping 20 years from now it would be something special.

At first I was gunna ditch the jazz basses, because squiers and fenders can always be found any time period any where and I guess I thought the uniqueness of the modulus and fleabass overpower my love for jazz comfort and tones

any suggestions? ha sorry if this is a really ADD and random thread

Thanks

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I would keep the Modulus Flea and the Fender Jazz. I think they are the better two basses.

3. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    >

Attached Files:

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    So is this like a for sale ad?

5. Get rid of the squier and fleabass!

6. styro

styro

Dec 22, 2011
    Right.

7. This.

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Agreed.

9. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Agreed. Just send me the other two - problem solved. :)

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    +1, and don't forget to send Avalon the other two. ;)

11. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I see that we are all in agreement. :)

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Danged right. Got that straight. :D

13. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    Ha yea that is the most logical for me but you just get attached to a bass uve had while u dreamed of getting a better one and but its still a treasure...anyone thing the fleabass (greenpink) ones will be worth anything down the road?

14. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    +1

15. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Ok... but you've got the deafness-inducing active guts of the Modulus going on and there's also your love affair with the CV Jazz. I say you'd be smart to keep those two, but I'm saying that because of my current gear. Thanks in advance for bearing with me...

One of my basses is a super-familiar parts Jazz that's passive, makes big schmoove sound, has an attractive finish, and has been taking care of me for at least a decade now. My other bass is a newly acquired custom P/J with active EMG's and on-board preamp. It's a mildly slicker player with a gorgeous flame maple top and it can also do a little of that Godzilla-barfing-thunder impression, too. A couple weeks back, my guitar player actually asked me to turn down... Yep, that's a first!!!

The reason that I think it's so easy to love both of these basses is that they don't step on each other's toes. I brought both to last night's gig and had a genuinely good time playing both, too. I doubt I'll ever have two of the same bass in at least the near future, just because it's not much fun having "more of the same".

16. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
  17. Bassed on that video I would keep the MIM Jazz and the Modulus. If you could put some mids on the Fleabass that would have incredible tone though...

But still. MIM and Modulus.

18. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Almost this. I say sell everything but the Modulus, and get a passive MIM Jazz Bass, considering you said active was not really the Fender ton you were looking for.

Nah. They were mass produced and made in China. The instrument itself isn't particularly timeless looking either. Their target demographic was very narrow (mostly teens into RHCP and punk rock I think). There might be some superfans who will want this down the road, but I don't think it's gonna go for crazy money.

Seems like you're a big RHCP fan yourself, and from your posts, you're not crazy with the idea of giving up the Fleabass. Is it the sound/playability, or the connection to the player that you're more attached to? If the former, hang onto it. If the latter, remember that you have the Modulus - an instrument more associated with the man and his recordings.

19. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    +1

20. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    well said. I guess I will hold onto the modulus and the MIM.. or sell the MIM for a passive MIM. If the MIM didnt have the rando dings and cracks (the skunk stripe along the 1-3 frets seems to be very slightly raised/bumped as well...hmm) I would let that puppy age and use it for the nice relaxed playing but I guess Ill keep looking and keep sellers posted.

And with the fleabass, I liked it for its uniqueness, limited production, and for how suprisingly well it held to low action...But i did happen to lower the action on my modulus just now and it almost matches the comfort of playability that my fleabass has but I guess I will just have to change my playing to fretting closer to the frets to avoid buzz and i will just have to accept that active instruments pick up buzzes more than passive

thank guys