Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

have a bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boston/ton, May 28, 2003.

1. boston/ton

boston/ton

May 28, 2003
    iam thinking about have a bass build.
    so ilook around saw this web site
    by DP custom guitars and bass
    have any body have a bass build by this guy
    and if so how Happy are you,what you tell
    me about this guy.it seem that he is good.
    but ILL wait and see whay you guy got to say.
    thanks.

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bass built by who?????:meh: :confused:

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    uhm...

4. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Translation: "I'm thinking about having a bass custom-built for myself, and I was hoping you could provide me with some opinions on DP Customs."

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Can't say I have one, but a few TB'ers do. I did a quick search and came up with these results.

By the way...welcome to TalkBass, boston/ton.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Boston/ton Welcome to Talkbass!

I don't know anything about the builder you mentioned first hand, but I had my bass built by Chris Benavente this spring and I can't say enough good about it!!! I'll spare the rest of TB seeing the photos again ;) so you can just click the link in my signature if you want to take a look.

I clicked thru your website, I dig that P bass you're holding (the Marcus Jazz is nice too). I like the pickguard and layout, tell me more about it.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am waiting for the arrival of my DP custom.

My advice is to be specific to a fault when placing an order with Dave.

Think of everything that you want or do not want. If you are having
    a 5 pc neck made make sure you tell him how wide you want the stringers. if you want a cavity cover that matches the grain on the back of tha body tell him that.

Just think of all the details and do not take it for granted that it will be the way you want if you do not tell him.

He has his ways of doing things .

So, the lesson here is communicate, communicate, communicate.

I am axiously awating the arrival of mine.

good luck.

Oh, one more thing. There are many people here at TB that own or have owned DP's and have obviously gone through the process with Dave. I talked to as many of those guys as I could find before I placed my order. I received a lot of very good advice.

9. GRCorman

GRCorman Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    Pennsylvania

Not that that's bad .....
    every builder does things a little differently, and will make assumptions if the customer doesn't specify something.....so just don't "assume" if it's something important to you (but also don't sweat the minor things that you really don't care about) ..and good luck!:D

GRC