Have a bit of money floating about...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joshi-kun, Jul 10, 2005.

1. All my bands feature guitarists whom have become rather addicted to effects... now that's all well and good... no problem, I like funky guitar... However... the effect tends to clash badly with the sound of my bass... so for a heavier sound I purchased an overdrive (the "primitive Metal stomp that makes your amp sound like it's blown" ~ Garry of Guitar World) and have found (after some tweaking, it works well enough to avoid the weird out of sync feeling. Now my problem is: What about the rest of the song or set?

The band in question are very this way that way in our sound, we have a basic Nirvana meets Mr. Manson feel, however we often drop this a metal sound or a more funky style of playing (walks and the like). Now I know that was a bit vague for what I'm about to ask... but... what pedals (they need to be single stomp box effect, effects boards are the work of the devil) would any of you recommend? Please don't suggest Bass Balls, it's cool yeah, but has little to no practical use...
  2. What about a mini-qtron or qtron? Set the Q a bit high, and you've got a very touch sensitive filter for a ton of cool little accentuations.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There's always room for a chorus of some sort. I have a Boss CEB3. Alot of folks like the Small Clone and the Cool Cat
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With a lot of effects on guitar, I find a clean bass usually works the best, maybe a bit of chorus or overdrive, but otherwise it's really easy to lose the bass in the mix too.
  5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Funny... I always counter that by using even more effects than my guitar playing band members... And I always win... ;)

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Funny coming from an effects junkie/mod. I prefer a minimalist route with a bit of grit and a bit of chorus most of the time, and wacky stuff only when there's a rhythm guitar holding down the groove.

In a trio, I run pretty clean.