have a chance to get a Modulus Genesis 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 27, 2005.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've found a deal on a Modulus Genesis 5 at a local store for $1250, out the door. Its a natural quilted maple with maple fingerboard with bart J pickups and preamp. I played it, and it plays like a dream. My hold back is that I'm promising my self I'm only buying two more basses, and then I'm through, one a 4 and one a 5 string. Anyone got something to say about it?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get it! If it's used, then that means that they got it for about $625! :eek:
  3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've got a Genesis 5 I really like. From what I've seen (when I was looking at them 2 years ago) the market on the used ones was $1,000+. Especially figured tops with the 3 band EQ. Of course I haven't been in the market for one since, so I'm not sure where pricing is now.
  4. I got mine a few weeks ago off of ebay for $1300....IMO, the best of all worlds....great sound, super solid neck and great components....you will not be displeased at all....and hey, if you are, you won't loose money on it...they retail for $4000!!!!!!

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm a couple of weeks away from getting one. I found used and it was a better value that a few other high end 5 strings. I have a quantum 6 a VJ and adding the genesis 5 in a couple of weeks.

The bass doesn't get the name recognition of some others, but it is a great J style bass. I like the bart preamp and it's deep and growly. What sold me on this bass was it has a 24 fret fingerboard to go along with great sound. The maple board is not super bright. I guess this is because of the graphite and the other woods used around the neck

Great bass!
  6. a store near nashville has a slightly used 4 string version for $800. I think there pretty cool
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    $1250 sounds likes it's on par with the market for those basses. Personally, I think they're a great bass, unfortunately though, not too many other people think that they're very good as indicative of their used resal value. I would say that if your're looking to get the bass to make a buck off of it, don't buy it, but if you're looking to get a really great, under-rated bass to gig with, I'd say go for it.
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    To answer your other question, here's an excerpt from my bass diary:

Modulus Genesis 5, Bart Jazzes, Bart 2 band pre, metallic plum (pink) wood body, wood board. It was the only offer I got for my Pedulla Rapture, and I’m glad I got it. It’s well made, sounds like a conventional bass in that it has good booty and mids, but also has the composite glassy highs and decent growl. Youngsters love its looks. This bass is responsible for me getting back into fretted basses. Its action is so good, and with light strings, it feels almost like a fretless if you can ignore the speed bumps. It’s also good for outdoor gigs that start in daylight and end after dark (quite a temperature swing here in the Rockies). It is my beater bass. These basses aren’t as well regarded as they should be.
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    John Dunn who used to play for sponge (I beleive) and now plays for brothers grove in Detroit has one and loves it. It's his go too bass, I'm not a big moodulus fan but I've been very impressed by the Genesis (it was desighned by Michael Tobais) and they do have good workmanship.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My wife bought me a Gen 5 string when MARS went under. She paid a $1000 new with case...a gift and a good deal! Granted, it had a little showroom wear but nothing that adversely affected playability. It's a joy to play.

11. I love mine too..truly a pro instrument that does not get the attention it deserves.the b string is awsome too. mine has the transparent green finish which I love. the only flaw I can find is the weight,it's pretty heavy..other than that I'm very happy.
  12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm not a big Modulus fan, but I think the Genesis basses are great. Probably the best that they make (for me that is). I also think they are terribly under rated! That's coming from a Roscoe lover. That doesn't sound right. Roscoe Bass lover!
  13. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have (4) basses, and one of them is a Modulus Quantom 6 spi. Not a Genesis, but I rate Modulus "top shelf". It is really hard not to buy another one. I didn't realize Modulus basses were "under-rated". I thought everyone knew...

As for the idea of owning only two basses, that would be a tough choice for anyone who is really a player. There are so many great basses out there! I'm just a country boy, with Sam Ashe and GC the only "mass merchandisers" with-in a couple of hours of Hickory, NC where I live. For me, getting a Modulus meant never having to say you're sorry. :bassist: Wheather jamming, or looking at fancy basses in a music store, there's no regrets in owning a Modulus.

Go with the Genesis, and you will most likely have one of your "two basses" in captivity.

14. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    These are really nice basses. I just bought one on eBay and received it a couple of days ago. Gave $1075.00. It and the original case (with all the candy) are in mint like new condition. It has an Alder body with a Quilted Maple 5A top in Blackstone finish that is amazing. Granadillo fingerboard. Has Bart J pups and 3 band Bart pre-amp.

I've owned two Quantum's in the past--one with Barts and one with EMG's and to me the Genesis blows them away in both tone and feel. I believe the wood in the neck and fingerboard of the Genesis is the trick that gives them the more warm tone in the mids with a more ballsy deep sound than the Quantum's. Like you guys say, these turkeys are under-rated bigtime but are just killer units ... I'm tickled to death with it.