1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have a Listen!! Mark King: A Waltz for Dawn

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Having one of my regular visits to the Status website having seen the other thread on the new streamliner and came across this rather nice little piece by Mark King. Follow the link and then click on the staff.

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts3/frames/frame4.htm

That will download a streaming link, which can be played in iTuners or your audio player.

I know there are knockers out there, but MK is one of the reasons I took up bass (along with Steve Harris and Geddy Lee - ok I'm an 80s guy!). MK is not only a fantastic player, but he is an all-round 110% nice guy! That's my fan worship over for the night any thoughts on the tune?

2. babaseen

babaseen bass for M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    +1 on the fan worship part...great bass tone in this and great feel, THANKS FOR SHARING...another reason why I had to go to see Rob Green in person and get my S-2 Classic

3. +1 Mark's also one of the main reasons I took up bass. Thanks for the brilliant post, as per usual Mark King's playing is stellar. Mark's Status tone is killer to say the least! Mark King and Level 42 will always be number one for me, that hasn't changed in over twenty years. Once their version of jazz/funk gets in your blood, it never leaves. Don't worry, that's a good thing..... Now about that RetroGlide model in a 5 string.:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    "Bassjones"
    http://www.myspace.com/paultheriaultbassjones

4. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    The Retroglide is a great looking bass! They are pricey when full optioned and I was holding off buying one until the exchange rate got a bit better only to see it go the other way!

I haven't played one, but having played quite a few of Rob Green's creations I know it will rock or should that be funk out!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Very nice tune! I'm almost hearing a bit of Al Di Meola in the lead line...!

Awesome tone, those Kingbasses sound awesome! I have actually promised myself that the next bass I buy will be a Kingbass Artist after seeing Level 42 live last October! Mark King is just a ridiculously good player, one of my absolute favourites, up there on the top tier with Jonas Hellborg, Stuart Hamm, Geddy Lee and Stanley Clarke! :D

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    wow...

Mark is quite a player. And man does he sing on those status basses!! I've always held him as one of my greatest influences (Mr. Pink was one of the songs which helped me decide bass was the instrument I wanted to study) but he never ceases to amaze me even still.

7. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Haven't seen MK live since the 90s - would love to see him over on this side of the pond, but you know what they say about the mountain and mohammed!

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would love to go and see them back in the early days...Back when level 42 were playing small clubs, and Heathrow was part of the set. Love that tune, one of their best, and a real workout for a slapper's rhythm chops!

9. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I regret that I only saw them in their mid-size hall stage, although over the last few years in his 'solo' band MK has played some small gigs, but as you say hearing the early stuff is what would really make it cool, but I suppose everyone moves one!

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yeah, I'm very glad Level 42 have reformed. No offence to Lyndon Connah, but his keyboard playing and singing were awful. I guess Mike Lindup left very big shoes to fill, but seeing him and Mark on stage again, doing Hot Water and The Sun Goes Down like it's the 1980's again...pure magic!