1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

have a look :-) (pictures added)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierreganseman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    hey guys, this one is for people with "high end" basses(no disrespect intented to cheap basses),
    I managed to get an alembic; and a sei bass, wich i think are both some work of art(both got them used for real good price). But now, i find myself, being scared of using them, and doing scratched and thing.. on it..
    I'm tempted of getting some cheap fender, or musican man SUB. etc. But on the other hand, i'd find myself super dumb of having two such amazing looking/playing/souding instru. And not use them as much as i could.

This ever happened to any of u guys??

:meh::meh::eyebrow:
    If u see what i mean...

cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well if you're going to post "have a look", then you owe us pictures of the Alembic and Sei! :D

Really.

Edit: Thanks for posting those! Man, that Sei is pure hotness. It looks like warm maple syrup poured over a curvy woman. Nice!

To answer your question, I would totally gig any bass I owned, no matter how expensive, unless I had bought it specifically as "art" or "an investment". IOW if I could afford one of those Ritters covered in platinum and diamonds, or a pre-CBS P bass in perfect collector condition, I would probably not gig those, because their value is not predicated on their tone or playability. OTOH if I was in a position to buy a super-expensive bass where the cost was in large part related to the tone or playability, I would gig the holy heck out of it.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Yes, I have been and will continue to be cautious with my more expensive basses. However, ENJOY THEM! Just make sure you are not wearing a belt when you play them :)

High end basses are often beautiful to look at but, to me, aren't worth anything if they can't produce a sound I like. I am more than sure you can get tremendous sound out of your basses, which is where their real beauty is.

Beautiful instruments are like beautiful women. Play with them, love them, and treat them well.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

"Have a Look" without pictures?:confused:

Anyways, I own 6 basses that are in the $2-3k range new and I gig them all. No point having them just to look at IMO.

If I want to hang something on the wall to look at I will buy a Robert Bateman print.:D

Gig those babies!:bassist:

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I don't have any ridiculously expensive basses, but I'm in the same boat with my guitars, especially my custom Hamer. Luckily (I guess) the only out-of-the-house playing I'm doing now is on bass, and I'm not too worried about damaging one of my guitars around the house. I do find that I tend to keep them in their cases when I'm not using them while I have my basses scattered around out on stands though.

6. ffs, these are instruments, they are meant to be played.

7. Play them! Just treat them well.

8. if you don't play them... you can give me the one on the left :drool:

9. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    I had an absolutely gorgeous Warrior. Sold it for the exact reason you're talking about. I put a tiny ding in it and I was just sick about it. Until I realized if it was going to bother me to the point where I was afraid to gig it, I should probably sell it. So I did. No regrets.

10. Maybe make it a hang up on the wall - bass if you're really that scared. Or just be careful. And if it does get a ding, think of it as character.

11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I always gigged my Alembic until it was stolen.
    In a couple of days my Sadowsky will arrive and I plan to gig that at every opportunity. Why else would I want to own these amazing basses?

Art objects are cool, but nice instruments are functional, dynamic art objects that are almost alive...

12. PLAY THEM!!!!!

If the fretless wasn't going to be used - I would never have sold it matey! hahahaha

I still have a load of "expensive" instruments, and they all get used on gigs. I have always been of the opinion that they are for making music, not just something to look at.

13. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    Don't worry kevin... the fretless is being well used... just scared as hell and paranoid... but it's being WEEEEEEEEEEEEL used :)

14. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    PLAY THEM!

That's why they were built. What scares you about scratches, dings, dongs ... ?
    Resale price? Then these are not the right instruments for you, if you think about this.
    The looks? My opinion is - a bass looks cool once you can see that it has been used (not ab-used). Think about all these vintage and stupidly expensive Fenders - much mojo but do really not look like new.

I'm playing mine - and really enjoy the sound everytime. Often, I find myself looking at the instruments and thinking "WOW, what a cool baby". The Wal looks really NOT mint after 17 years of constant use - but, hey, i will NEVER sell it, so what. I know where and how most of the scratches happened, I know that it was my fingers that rubbed off the finish where the thumd rests on the PU's.
    Same for the Zon.

Just my thoughts ;-)

Tom

15. sei24bass

sei24bass

Nov 28, 2006
    I'm of the view that basses should be used and enjoyed, rather than being pieces of artwork. You wouldn't buy a watch just to keep it in the cupboard, so get out there, gig them and enjoy using them! It may seem a little worrying at first, but that will subside once you've done it a few times and the new toy syndrome has worn off.

My SEI 8 is the only bass I have, it gets gigged regularly and you know what that bass looks like....