1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have a problem with my Trace Elliot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattParasite, Mar 28, 2009.


  1. MattParasite

    MattParasite

    Mar 18, 2007
    Hi people, havent been on here in a while but you guys always give great advice!


    I have a Trace Elliot 250SMX bass amp head. Recently, but only very occasionally i have used it and it seems like its only pushing out half the power...which then comes back suddenly to full power. Almost like a lose connection type thing.

    I've been told it could be the valve in it or that i just need to open the cover and spray it with some sort of cleaner. I know nothing about service and maintence so any help would be greatly appreciated! If it's a new valve i need...what do i do here?!

    Any help is really appreciated. I'm going on a full UK tour later in the year and i don't want the thing losing power and then bumping back up again in the middle of our set haha!

    Matt
     
  2. MattParasite

    MattParasite

    Mar 18, 2007
    In addition, the amp is a pre-amp and it has a dial to adjust the amount of valve input.
     
  3. MattParasite

    MattParasite

    Mar 18, 2007
    any ideas anyone? :meh:
     
  4. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Possibly bad pots or a cold solder joint. That would be my guess.
     
  5. johnk_10

    johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if it has send receive jacks on the back, try putting a short 1/4 to 1/4 cable and jump them together. there are switches in these jacks and they often get oxidized. alot of amps do that when the switched jacks get old. if that doesn't solve the problem, check your input jack's grounding and solder connections.

    2 cents.............
     
  6. MattParasite

    MattParasite

    Mar 18, 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

    If i took it to get serviced would this root out any problems, bad pots etc?

    Sorry if i appear stupid, i just know nothing about the insides of amps, i just plug in and go!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.