Have a question about extension cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    I have an Eden Silver Series 2x8. I'm starting to learn that its not loud enough to play in a big band with.. I have a couple questions:

1. Will running an extension cabinet put a strain on the combo amp and possible make it to cut out?? Last thing I need is for it to go into "heat protection" during the middle of a gig

2. Am I right in thinking if I got another 2x8 cabinet it'll just make my amp louder, but, if I get something like 1x12 it'll make it loud but possible color the sound differently?
  2. It'll handle an 8ohm extension cab of your choice just fine.
  3. If it says it'll handle a 4ohm but 8ohm is recommended is that implying that if I use a 4ohm it'll likely go into heat protection?
  4. It's rated at 120w/170w @ 8/4 ohms. I don't know why they would make such a statement given these specs AND the fact that there is an extension speaker out.

The extension cab will cause your amp to work harder but this thing is built to add an 8 ohm cab.

You are correct about the types of speakers affect on your tone but I would add the fact that 4x8's will have a little more bass than 2x8's if we're talking about adding an equal cab.

One last thing. 170 watts and 4x8 speakers isn't enough for most "louder" bands. Unless you're close to loud enough now you might not get the volume you need even with the upgrade.

Nice amp BTW.
  5. The volume is great for the quartet and just a tad too quiet for the big band. Actually, it really depends where we play and what type of floor we are one. I've played gigs were its been pleanty loud and other where all I could hear was coming through the monitors.

I have a SWR Workingmans 10 extension I might try using next time. Hopefully they'll come out with Silver Series 2x8 extensions soon..

It is a great amp and sounds good. But, if I cant get it loud enough to where I need it, I may have to sell it unfortunately.
  6. It sounds to me like you are on the right track with adding an 8 ohm extension cab. Check out LowDownSound (LDS). They make quality custom made cabs, their 2x8 cabs are highly regarded here at TB, and their prices are very good. I bet if you contacted them and told them what you told us they could come close to matching the sound of your combo.