1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have a Tonehammer, is an Aguilar Preamp redundant?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RedJag, Aug 23, 2018.

1. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    So I recently picked up a 2007 Warwick Corvette with Passive electronics, and I began wondering about putting in a preamp and rewiring things a bit.

And a question ran through my head that I genuinely don’t know how to answer

If I have an Aguilar Tonehammer Amp, would an Aguilar preamp be redundant? In theory the EQ circuit would be similar at least in terms of center frequencies. Am I better off getting a different brand of preamp for greater tone shaping ability?

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Look at it longterm. You might not have that amp forever. Also, some times maybe you use a different amp/ backline etc. Nice to know your own bass well, it's eq ,in those cases.

RedJag and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    They are similar and have some overlap, but not the same.
    The OBP1 has the same bass and treble center frequencies as the Tonehammer, but no mids.
    The OBP2 and 3 have a different center frequency for the treble control and fixed midrange at 400 or 800hz, where the head has sweepable mids.
    I also look at it long term. You may not have that amp forever, or switch the pre again at some time in the future.
    Also, I use the amp to dial in the tone for the room I'm in. Then the onboard bass pre is used to make the small adjustments needed song to song. It's not redundant at all.

RedJag likes this.