1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have Ampeg 6x10 and want something smaller/lighter, but need same volume.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 0utlier, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I play a 5 string tuned standard in a reasonably loud rock band, but almost always have PA support. I use a Crown XTI 1000 power amp. I am about to buy a new car and would prefer not having to buy a hatchback or SUV this time. Looking at a sedan.

I've enjoyed my Ampeg 6x10 over the years, but with all this new speaker technology I'm thinking I can get something smaller, lighter, and more portable yet retain the ability for high SPL's.

I'm thinking two 2 x 10's vertically may do the trick, but losing 2 speakers spooks me. Anyone have any experience going from a fairly large rig to something smaller yet still being able to project good volume?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Unless you go with your smaller cabs plan I think you'd probably love a Bergantio NV610. Its 105lbs, 36" high x 24" wide and most importantly only 15" deep so you'd find it would fit into the back seat of most any 4-door car. They work great with 5-strings and a search here will get you 1000's of post raving about its tone and volume potential. I've owned/gigged mine for several years and still think its the best cab I've ever tried.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Smaller and less speakers will never equal the volume you have currently. There's lots of new innovations in speaker technology, but still nothing can equal the sheer "biggness' of a multi driver cab like a 610/810/412. Only other option would be two other cabs, like 2x 212's, or similar. 2x 210's will not get you 610 performance.

4. +1 mind you 3x210 will get you to a 6x10. :)

5. yep 3 x 2x10" s WILL give U a 6x10" sorta. I HAD a Bergantino NV610 (had to sell it-another story- but I've still got a NV215) & it's THE BEAST!!!

It was a bit of a shock for me, the 1st time I used a 4x10 after the 610-& this was a Bergantino 4x10 too, so IT too IS a beast (or great cab). The 410 is still articulate & punchy & able to go plenty deep, as the NV610 did, but it doesn't have the same POW factor.
    The NV610 is THE 6x10 .

IMO/IME, YMMV, Blah.....

6. I went from an 8x10 to a 4x10 and 1x15. If you are currently using a 6x10, why not get an SVT410HLF and pair it with a 210HLF. Or just get the 4x10. It will be close to what you have now and easier to transport.

7. There are probably tons of small cabs that will be louder than the 610HLF, the 610hlf can be loudish in certain freqencies but not so much in the mids/high mids that will really project.

A really good 2x12 might do it, I know there was a poster here that said he was getting the same volume from a small cab that was comparable with his 610hlf, I had a 610hlf but am currently looking for a small cab also (although I'm not really looking to play at very loud volumes anymore these days)

8. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    I now have a 610 hlf and i have had smaller cabs in the past like 4 10 2 12s ect ect when it comes down to it the 6 10 is easier to haul because of the wheels and the back slides and handle just my opinion though.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my whappo jr (smaller and only 56lbs) can get ALOT louder/fuller than my SVT610HLF ever could, and IMO, it sounds alot better too. same thing with my 12126.

10. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I guess I may be in the market for a whappo jr or 12126 then. I definitely would like to downsize.

11. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Just went from lugging an 8x10 to a Markbass 2x10 combo. Completely happy.

12. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Cannon Falls,MN
    I recently went from an ampeg 610 svt3pro to a markbass mini cmd121p and ny121...couldnt be happier.

13. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    And you don't want for the 810?

Ive never owned an 810..but I would like to get something easier on my back than my swr410. 90lbs is just too much for me...and I hate having to stand n wait..or bother somebody to help.

Im hopin for 2 neo210s...or 112s.

Hard to get peoples opinions though...people who have "seriously" tried both.

I just tried an MB combo today with a 112(and a Fivestring)..it was ..okay...then I plugged a second 1 12 cab into it. :bassist: ..Now im startin to see what all this Markbass Buzz is about.

14. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Sure don't :D

I've had the Ampeg "fridge" and the last 810 was a Carvin (I preferred this to the Ampeg). I've gigged an 810 for the past 7 years. I was tired of it but I would not have switched (or switched and stayed) with the 210 unless I was completely satisfied. It gets plenty loud - I ran my last gig at around 10 o'clock on the gain and master. Personally, i like the tilt-back design of the MB 210 combo. That was one of the things I was really wanting if I went smaller.

I've gigged an Ampeg 410 as well. It was harder to move around than any 810 I've had experience with. Much prefer a heavier 810 to a 410. 410's are a pain.

I'm so pleased and confident with the MB 210 combo that I've already sold my 810. I don't see any reason for me to go back or any reason why I would at this point. I just don't need that much. I do plan on buying a 210 or 115 cab for an extension just in case I need it for gigs without PA support (although those are few and far between) but I really don't think I'll need it. My band's stage volume is pretty loud and the MB had absolutely no problem cutting through.

Not only the weight, I prefer the sound of the MB over my previous GK 1001RBII/Carvin 810 setup. Heck, I prefer over any setup I've ever played. I will say that I'm not an old school guy. I'm more of a hi-fi type with preference into modern tones. Not really into the old school thump. Just sounds muddy to me.

Anywho, sorry to type a book, just trying to help. :bassist:

15. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    IMO 610's aren't much smaller than an 810 and don't sound much better than a 410. +1 on the Ampeg410HLF.

16. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah but that Ampeg 410HLF is a PITA. Been there - done that. Never again.

17. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    A 410HLF isn't really downsizing. I had a 410HLF and my current 610HLF is much easier to move around an is only a few pounds heavier.