1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

have an h4n recorder...do i need a DI box to connect a bass? DI schematic?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soma89, Feb 27, 2018.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    It sounds good without it, but was wondering if "ideally" one would use a DI box.

Kinda looking for a good excuse to build a good DI..I love the old 60's DI bass sound ( a la Byrds, Love, etc)

Can anyone recommend a good DI schem?

Thanks in advance

2. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    I have never used one but on their website they say it works on instrument level. So no, I dont see any benefit using a DI box here if it sounds good and I suspect you don't run any long lengths of cable

3. From the Manual:

"Connect mics and guitars directly using combined XLR/
    standard phone jacks.

The H4n Pro includes input jacks for connections that can accommodate a variety
    of recording styles. Microphones, including stereo mics and condensers, electric
    guitars, basses and keyboards can all be connected directly
    ."

And remember when a DI was used in a studio in the '60's it was routed into a mixer, a preamp, EQ, compression and tape - they all alter the sound significantly.

4. I have an H4N too. The unbalanced input impedance is 480k (I just looked it up.) This should be fine for a typical passive bass. (If your bass is active, it should easily drive an impedance that is 1/10 of this.)

The other reason to use a DI is for earth loop isolation, and obviously this is not an issue when plugging in directly to a portable battery operated device!

But if you want to build a DI, here's a nice one from Electronics Australia published about 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure that fet is still available, and you'll need a good audio transformer with mu-metal shielding can. Anything from 4:1 to 16:1 is recommended in the article. I built several of these back in the day and if you spend some coin on a jensen transformer or something, it will be easily suitable for studio use.

EA Fet DI.

qersty likes this.