1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have an MXR M87 Bass Compressor. Is Darkglass Super Symmetry That Much ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Have the cash and the GAS; also have an MXR 87. Is it worth pulling the trigger on a Super Symmetry? Should I just keep the M87, because I should be happy with what I have? Has anyone been so impressed with the DG, that it's worth the $300?

2. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    To me, they are in the same ballpark. Mostly on the uncolored side, both good for smooth compression or hard limiting, led metering, many parameters under control. The Super Symmetry has a more useful range of attack though.
    If I wanted to spend that much for an upgrade, I'd go for other models.

Frellin Smesh and Hi-End Basses like this.
  3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I upgraded from the MXR to the Super Symmetry as soon as it was released. The difference is night & day.
    The DGSS has way more control over the compression, being a knob and not just 4 switches, and having the Blend knob is an absolute necessity. It allows you to have a higher compression rate but Blend in less of it.
    My tone us warm and fat but still packs a hell of a punch.

Hi-End Basses likes this.
  4. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Had an MXR

Got a SS - the SS has a more inherent warm tone and is a great pedal, they are both great.

Ultimately cashed them both in and got a Cali76G.
    Although you may not be able to get this model, a Cali76 in any form is night and day above the two you have listed.

Get one of them

Jason Hollar and Hi-End Basses like this.