Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have any bassists used the Touch Technique.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Skull, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Skull

Skull

Nov 10, 2000
    I'm thinking finger tapping like Jazz guitarist Stanley Jordon NOT finger tapping like Eddie Van Halen.
    I'm sure someone has I just don't know. Could someone fill me in? Thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Stuart Hamm has done a few songs that way, although it's not his only technique, the way it is for Jordan.

3. Skull

Skull

Nov 10, 2000
    Could you tell me which songs? Much obliged! :)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm no Hamm expert; that said, he did do a cool version of "Linus & Lucy".
    Too, Michael Manring uses the "touch" method.

I have seen Jordan live; he did come up with something new/different by applying piano "technique" to the guitar neck.
    Plus, he does a Helluva Hendrix & Shankar impression.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

JimK has already mentioned his version of Linus and Lucy, another that I can remember was his arrangement of Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' on the Radio Free Albemuth album.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Do bassists use Jordan-style touch technique? All the time! Check out Stuart Hamm (very sci-fi sounding stuff, as well as classical music and movie themes, eg. Star Trek); Victor Wooten (everything imaginable, from Beatles to Dizzy Gillespie); Roscoe Beck (organ sounds with walking bass accompaniment-very cool); Michael Manring (new-agey stuff, on fretless and with altered tunings, no less); and Billy Sheehan (somewhat Van Halenish, but astounding in terms of speed and complexity). There are many others who use touch technique, though more sparingly than these players.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Umm... touch technique? Could someone please tell me what that is, 'cause I have obviously missed it.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oysters(Rockafeller)-
    You know how one uses both hands to play a piano? One hand may be playing chords while the other plays the melody or one hand solos while the other hands comps...
    Well, that same approach can also be done on the guitar/bass. Guys like Stanley Jordan walk a bass line with their fretting hand(on the guitar's "E" & "A" strings)while comping & playing a solo/head on the remaing strings. the first time I saw Jordan live, I couldn't believe it...it was like a pianist, it was like he had 2 or 3 brains! By about the 4th tune, I had settled down enough to kick back & enjoy what he was sayin'/playin'.
    As far as Hamm goes, imagine the bassline to "Linus & Lucy" being played on the "E" & "A" strings by hammering down into the neck while the other hand is tapping the melody out on the "D" & G" strings. From what I've heard, Hamm's stuff does not approach what Jordan was pulling off. Again, I have Hamm's first 2 albums...I'm no authority on him to be sure.

BTW-
    How 'bout The Chapman Stick? Emmitt Chapman invented this instrument way back when(early '70s)to be tapped...chords, bass lines, etc. Alphonso Johnson & Tony Levin are two of the more popular guys out there that have played this instrument.

[Edited by JimK on 11-18-2000 at 04:33 PM]

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not to mention all the variants of the Stick, including the Warr Guitar, the Bunker doubleneck touchguitar/bass, and the NS Stick.

What's really cool about Jordan (and Manring) is his ability to play two or more guitars simultaneously using touch technique. Jordan's been dismissed in legitimate jazz circles as a one-trick-pony and a circus freak; personally, I think this is the result of chops envy more than anything. Regardless of what technique he's using, he always makes the results sound good.

11. You might want to check out Doug Wimbush;if i'm not mistakened,he used that technique when he played for Living Colour.

12. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    John Myung from Dream Theater uses a simpler version of this method in the intro to the song "Scarred." He taps double stops on the top strings (C and G on a six string), and frets a bass line on the bottom two strings (B and E). I don't know if it counts as the touch technique, but it sounds really cool.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Could you tell me which songs? Much obliged! :)
    [/QUOTE]

I think it's bold from me to say that i'm a "Hamm expert", but i can say that he's been my greatest influence. I'm devising a version of "The entertainer" (the Joplin song from "The sting"), all by taps. Hope not being copying somebody. I've not heard a solo bass version of this tune.
    Here are some of Stu's songs which features the tapping technique:

-Flow my tears. The second part of this song features a cool and tricky contrapuntal tapping.
    -Beethoven's Moonlight sonata.
    -Linus and Lucy.
    -Country music (a night in hell). Only part of this song includes taps, but what a part! :cool:
    -Terminal beach.
    -Lone star. This combines string popping with flamenco raking and taps.
    -The star-spangled banner.
    -Bach's prelude in G.
    -Sexually active.

And many others that i can't recall (i'm not at home right now). Anyway, Most of Stu's tunes include a cool two-handed tapping part. BTW, my copy of the new Stu's solo album "Outbound" is on the way. I can't wait any longer for hearing it! :)

14. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Tony Levin,Greg Howard,Fergus Marsh,Bob Culbertson,Trey Gunn,Don Schiff,Sean Malone,Larry Tuttle,Ian Varriale,Emmett Chapman,Markus Reuter,and Jim Lampi to name a few. (all play either Stick or Warr Guitar)

15. Bassguy_123

Bassguy_123

Jan 26, 2001
    Im not sure who this Jazz guitar Jordan fellow u talk about in the first thread is but Primus uses a touch technique in there song "DMV" on there cd PORK SODA.

16. Bassguy_123

Bassguy_123

Jan 26, 2001
    Oops the Primus song i mentioned is Eddie van Halen style. Sorry

17. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I once saw Stanley play at the Coach House, and he did the most freaking unbelievable stunt I'd ever seen... he had one guitar strapped on, and another on a stand in front of him. He had each routed into a volume pedal, stood on TOP of the volume pedals, and panned back and forth between the two while he tapped on their fretboards. I had to scrape my jawbone off the floor.

The next most amazing thing I've seen was a dude who played drums and bass at the same time. He had the bass mounted flat on a stand where the high hat usually is, and he tapped on the fretboard with his left hand while he played drums with the other.

Thing of it is... he did great at both.

18. Way back when (in the 60's) I used to play valve trombone with my right hand and a "P" bass with my left. So if you double a Trumpet this a possibility.