Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have any bassists used toggling?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Skull, Nov 10, 2000.

1. Skull

Skull

Nov 10, 2000
    I was reading another post and Tom Morello guitarist of Rage Against the Machine (R.I.P.) came up. He is probably one of the more inventive (mainstream) guitarists for his invention and use of toggling. But, does anyone know if any bassist has or does use toggling? I'm not sure how toggling would sound with a bass, but I'm just curious to know if any of you know if anyone has done it?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Invention of toggling?

Pete Townshend with the Who did it on their first single thirty five years ago, and someone probably did it before him.

I've never heard a bass player do it, but then most basses don't even have toggle switches!

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm pretty sure, that there is a rule against this, in the bass playing bylaws...:)

4. Skull

Skull

Nov 10, 2000

Invention of toggling?

Pete Townshend with the Who did it on their first single thirty five years ago, and someone probably did it before him.

I've never heard a bass player do it, but then most basses don't even have toggle switches!
    [/QUOTE]

What was the name of that Who single? This is news to me since I've never read any credit or mention of Pete Townhend in relation to toggling!??? Are you sure it was toggling he was doing?

Yeah most basses don't have the switch, but you never know what crafty bassist(s) may have gotten a custom with one just for toggling! (just like customs with whammy bars)

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    It's an obvious technique, surely! I was doing it aged 13 before ever having heard of those pioneers of relaxed chamber jazz - RATM - I am totally confident that shortly after selling the first toggled guitar with independent volume switches, someone did it, by accident or design!

6. My bass has a switch, but toggling doesn't provide the same effect that it does on guitar, unless you're using something like a Boss ODB-3.

I'm actually considering having the toggle switch removed and having my controls re-wired for two volumes and two tones.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "I Can't Explain" I'm pretty sure is the song I'm thinking of.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My Tobias Basic Five bass has a toggle switch, but it is used for switching between active and passive, not between pickups. I'm not sure the difference between active and passive modes would be dramatic enough to make a difference in any musical context. I have read about Morello's tecnique, however. Maybe someone could customize a bass with a toggle switch that does what Morello does. Even then I don't know if it would be effective with the lower frequencies of a bass guitar, but if someone would care to try, I'd love to know how it worked out.

Jason Oldsted

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i know that he uses a ibanez sometimes(not for toggling though) that has a defect so he can make some messed up sounds that you cant make on a normal guitar, even the exact same model.