1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have any of the Berg IP users tried an FMR RNP with their chosen IP.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I've already got a TD100 which is fantastic, but I'd like a solid state pre as well, I'm really after the Anthony Jackson sound.

I was considering the Millenia TD-1, but that's a bit more than I want to spend.

So it's now between the Avalon U5 and the FMR RNP, I've read that the Avalon doesn't really pair too well with the IP's, has anyone got any experience with the RNP.

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    No experience with the RNP but I do get what you're sayin'.

I have a TD-100 as well, and have tried a number of other tube and SS devices in front of a IP/EX 112 stack.

The closest comparison that I've tried might be the PJB Bass Buddy. It's a nice clean, modern sound that I would think goes in the same general direction tone-wise as the RNP would. The BB is one of the best sounding pre's I've tried with the IP.

I love the Avalon U5 as DI, but IMO it's a little too sterile sounding as a front for the IP. The Millenia is supposed to be awesome with the IP's but it is pretty spendy!! I've come close to buying one twice and talked myself out of it both times due to the price.

Lately, I've been playing around with an ART Pro Channel. It's not as open and warm sounding as the Summit but of course it's more of a 'tube' sound than the SS devices that you're considering. I like this one pretty well (especially like the way the gain staging works), and it has on board parametic EQ as well as both tube and optical compressors.

Although I'm not familiar with the RNP personally, I know the RNC has a great reputation tone-wise. I think the RNP would probably make a good front end for the IP.

If you try the RNP, please post your experience with it. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Peace,

Matt

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Perhaps try a Buzzaudio pre.
    I am not sure how much they are tho...
    They have a fantastic reputation from what I have heard.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Didn't use an IP, but I briefly tried mine out as a bass pre.
    As I remember, my impressions were lots of nice clean uncolored gain with plenty of headroom.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Buzz Audio pre's are just as expensive as Millennia. The units they have that are not quite as expensive are API/500-series modules that require an API/500 "lunchbox" case and power supply, bringing the price right back up to Millennia level.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    OOHHPPSS!!
    They are great tho!!:D