Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

have any of u ever done this before?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dumbdan162, Jun 2, 2005.

1. dumbdan162

dumbdan162

May 20, 2005
    okay so i want to sand my bass to a natrual finsih. ive done b4 but on a jazz bass. i just wanted to know basically if any of u have ever sanded the back of the neck and headstock on a bass before? if u had, cud u givee me some techniques to protect the fretboard n stuff!! thanks

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Can't say I have but if you just tape the fretboard up with masking tape you should be good to go.

3. Uh, dont sand on it! The bac of the nek is on the uther side. It wuldnt be hard to avoid it. If u cant avoid it tape it like Worshiper sed.

4. I would suggest using very fine sandpaper to start the job, then move to steel wool of several different, descending grits for finishing. This way you can be pretty sure that you are only removing the finish and not taking too much wood off the neck and changing its shape/dimensions.

I've done a couple of basses that played and sounded great except for the sticky lacquer finish that manufacturers insist on putting on their necks. Some finishes are fine but others can be pretty bad.

Good luck!

J.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have done it, and wouldn't do it again. It was a mistake, for me.

Moved to Setup.

6. dumbdan162

dumbdan162

May 20, 2005
    well ive done it b4 on my jazz bass. im glad i did!! just i didnt do the neck coz it was already wooden!! do u think "900" sand paper is too fine or just right??