Have any of you attended a Kansas concert?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by IMMusicRulz, Jul 23, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Before I get to posting, I would like to dedicate this thread to the memory of Kansas violinist Robby Steinhardt, who died on Monday.

As much as they were scorned by critics, Kansas was a pretty good rock band. Kerry Livgren was a great keyboardist composer and guitarist, and Robby Steinhardt was as mentioned earlier, an excellent violinist.
    And Dave Hope—his bass playing on Song For America is fantastic.
    I own the live 2 record set Two For The Show and the album Monolith. I also had Leftoverture several years ago, and chucked that.

But I have heard that Kansas was a pretty good live band. Most of the members live in Atlanta (which I find cool because I live in ATL) even though Kerry Livgren recently moved to South Dakota from Atlanta. My parents are huge fans of Kansas, Heart, Styx, REO Speedwagon.

But if you have any experience attending a Kansas concert please let me know.

2. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    I only saw them once but it was this show and they killed it:

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Saw them about 75, I think they were touring behind SFA that had come out the year before, and of course they kicked ass. Saw them open for Queen when they did the Night at the Opera tour (Bohemian Rhapsody) maybe like 76 or 77 , that was along time ago. It was also the opening night of the tour for Queen so probably first live performance of Bohemian Rhapsody in the US maybe, at any rate both bands were great and kicked ass :thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008

one of my faves by these guys

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

1975, I saw Kansas in Kansas; Kansas City, Kansas, to be exact. I’m from Kansas City, Missouri, the core of the metroplitan area; I won’t try to explain, it’s complicated, but there are areas where you can just walk across the street to be in one state or the other(while still being, technically, in Kansas City). They were from Topeka, the state capitol, an hour and a half down I-70, and this was a homecoming concert of sorts with them headlining at Memorial Hall, an old 3500 seater that saw many shows(Patsy Cline’s last one took place there). They rocked it hard and were very tight; Aerosmith, who hadn’t quite broken big yet with Toys In The Attic were on before them, and put in a good turn. The first act, Head East, I found utterly annoying, I really hated that ‘Down For The Last Time’ song, just dumb stuff.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  6. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    I saw Kansas in 1978 at Meriwether Post Pavilion. Truly one of the best live performances I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a few.
    Also saw the John Elefante versión in about 1982, opening for Heart. Both were disappointing.

IMMusicRulz, rtav and mikewalker like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I saw them a couple times. Count me as impressed. They were great live.

8. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Only once, as the opening act on the Yes Masterworks tour around 2000.
    They were excellent, definitely on top of their game and stage presence.
    Song for America was a highlight of their set, ferociously played and tight.

9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    No, but i saw Head East open for Heart in the 80s

IMMusicRulz, David76112 and bobba66 like this.
  10. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    I guess I'm too young to know... but Kansas was scorned by critics? Why?

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  11. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I saw Kansas on their Audio-Visions tour in Nashville at the Municipal Auditorium.

I still recall the green laser, Steve Walsh catapulting himself while barely holding onto his keyboard and having an awesome time.

RIP to Robby.

IMMusicRulz and foolforthecity like this.
  12. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    This is what happens when you put Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, and a keg of PBR in a giant bender with a sprinkle of Judas Priest, and CCR. F'n LOVE IT!!

EDIT: Yeah... I'm old. LOL

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    IMMusicRulz and timplog like this.
  13. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    I saw them in the late 80’s at the San Diego Sports Arena, when Steve Morse was playing with them.

I’d have loved to have seen them on the ‘Song For America’ tour, as Dave Hope is one of my favorite Bass Players.
    (I’ve seen Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm, Andy West, Dave LaRue, Tiran Porter, Rhonda Smith, and a whole lot of other great Bassists, and I STILL wish I had seen Dave Hope.)

14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

You’d have to ask Jann Wenner.

15. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I saw Masque and Lefoverature tours when I was in college. Awesome live sets.
    Then a third time years later without Kerry Livgren as an opening act for Yes.

IMMusicRulz and rtav like this.
  16. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Saw them on this same tour at an outdoor venue in NC. Never was a huge fan but I was impressed that they still seemed to be having fun after all those years. Same for Yes!

Wow, I just looked up the concert…Aug 28th, 2000. Twenty-one years ago! Tick tick tick tick……

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    IMMusicRulz, timplog and woodyng2 like this.
  17. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Never got to see Kansas, but I did see Proto-Kaw in a small club in Belgium and they ACED it. To date, that concert is in my top 3 of best concerts ever.

I had tickets for a combined Kansas/Uriah Heep show which would have been the pinnacle (hehehe) of live music for me but Kansas bailed on that tour :(

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  18. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    I saw them in 1987, the show was on Long Island at Brookhaven gym, no violinist, Phil Ehart, Rich Williams, Steve Walsh, Steve Morse, and Billy Greer, the show was good.

IMMusicRulz and UnderTheRadar like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Never seen them live but any band with Steve Morse in it would pretty much have to be good.

20. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    I always liked Kansas, more now than I did back then, I was a big Morse - Dregs (Dixie) fan

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021