Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have any of you been to Berklee?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by liran, Jan 9, 2003.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was just curious if anyone here has attended Berklee College of Music in Boston. If you have it would be greatly appreciated if you could give me your thought's about it and everything you did to get in. Thank you so much.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am applying there. But I don't know if I'll get in only because they run a rolling tuition thing where they pretty much accept people no matter what until they are full. Its not a very difficult school to get into(all my friends that HAVE gone there or gotten in agree) but since it has a big reputation a lot of people think its impossible to get in. You really just have to apply early, I want to get in, but I should have applied 3 months ago. We'll see though. I can't say much about the school itself though, I have some friend's who have been there, and some that are currently enrolled, they all like it for various reasons.

3. James,
    i am currently a freshman at Macalester College in St. Paul, MN...but last year, when i was still in high school and very much so in the midst of applying to colleges and the such, i was fairly convinced that i wanted to have a bachelor of music degree and become a prof. musician. i applied to a lot of music schools, and then some liberal arts colleges (like Macalester) and some large universities as well, just to give myself a lot of options once i knew where i was accepted...but i always figured a music school was the right place for me.

one of the places i did apply was Berklee, and i even visited berklee (along with new england school of music...i mean they're a couple blocks apart, practically). before i visited these two boston schools (this was at the very beginning of my college search) i thought berklee was going to be THE place, both in quality and as a personal fit for me. after my half-week or so in boston, i left with a very very different attitude.

personally, i felt as if berklee's attitude towards musicianship was wrong and relatively unprofessional. the feeling i got from berklee was something like this: you can practice and practice, and learn as much as you want, but if you dont know the ropes of the music industry, you wont get anywhere. whereas other music schools that i visited all gave me the distinct impression that they would train you to be the best musician you can be so that you'd create YOUR OWN business in the industry. and i think there is a major difference between those two types of attitudes. berklee just made me feel like they'd be training me to be a musician living on a gig-to-gig basis. i just didnt like berklee's vibe.

Wrong Robot is correct about their admissions policy, which is basically, if you're willing to put up the money for berklee, you'll get in. and not to sound elitist, but that was one thing that contributed to my negative feelings about berklee. i didnt like the thought of looking to someone who suddenly decided they wanted to play music professionally after picking up the drums a couple months earlier as a peer. and obviously, that's an exaggeration, but it's how i felt.

now that's not to take away credit from berklee. they are the largest educational music institution in the world (i think that's what they told me), there are some really excellent teachers there, and definitely some really good players as well. they're supposed to have a really strong support system amongst graduates, and they do have tons of name recognition. and also, i dont actually attend berklee, my impressions were just made after a couple days exposure...so i could be way off. additionally, when college decision time came around, i realized that a music institution was not the right place for me and that i wanted something more centered towards the arts in general, which is why i went with macalester. but still, i thought that my impressions might be helpful for you. i appologize about the excessively long post, if you have any other questions email me. good luck!

Joel