Have any of you ever been in Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I had a letter to the editor printed in BP, like Jan.'01. Re:The recording issue. My 15 minutes of fame.
  2. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    JT wrote a letter about tab that made it a while ago.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah... I've been in Bass Player!... I was in their Working Stiffs section! No..... actually I was on the COVER of BP....yeah..that's it! I was on the cover and my signature 5..no 6....no....... my 18 string bass... yeah that's the ticket! Yeah, it was custom made for me by Zon....no Ken Smith.. no Conklin... uhhhh it was made for me by ALL of them!!! Yeah that's it!! They all joined forces to make this custom bass for me... And it had a beautiful Walnut, quilt maple, purple heart, Wenge, bubinga, burl chestnut top!! Yeah that's it!! Oh and not only was I in the magazine... I OWN the magazine!! Yeah that's it!! I bought it!!! Me and my wife Morgan Fairchild... yeah we actually OWN it!!!

I hope someone here remembers John Lovitz's character off the old SNL episodes!!
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    lol man!

yes i remembered... i actually got it in the first lines
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I had a letter printed some time back, and Jeff Berlin mentioned me in a column....

I hope that didn't use much of my 15 minutes:eek:
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't but I know that Joe Nerve has a letter about somenting that I forget about. ;):p
  7. I wasn't in BP, but in Bassics magazine.

I wrote some CD reveiws for them a few years back.
  8. not yet, but just wait a couple years... :D:rolleyes:
  9. Hey, I say the same thing!

:( :rolleyes:
  10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    My picture was in BP. I attended a master class given by Gary Willis (or it might have been Oteil Burbridge's class, went to both, can't remember which was pictured, wish I had them brain cells back) at the Bass Collective in NYC, and there I am listening intently. Hopefully this won't be the only time I make the mag :D .
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've had 2 letters printed in bass player, including that tab one that got "discussed" for months in their letters section. i think i also got an implied mention in the tony levin interview of some years back, where he made a slightly negative comment about 7 string basses at the namm show - at the show he was talking about i think conklin was the only one there with a 7 (this was some years ago) and i made it a point to have him come by and check it out, but he didn't really like it at the time. :(

they also took a picture of me with my doubleneck, lane poor, bill conklin and i think chuck rainey (? - i think i was talking to him at the time) but i don't think they ever published it.

i'm surprised that more gigging talkbassers haven't submitted for the working stiffs column
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I did like two years ago when it first started (Smells his armpits) I must stink;)
    Like half of the info I gave don't even count anymore, Different bands and situation.
    Maybe I should send a revised version.. :rolleyes:
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My name has been on the cover...quite regularly, too, when I actually subscribed. ;)

I do recall JT's letters; also, DAVE SIFF had a letter in there lauding the *greatness* of a certain Mike Dirnt(Green Day's bass player?).
    SIFF's letter is in the issue with REM's bass player on the cover.
    ...sorry, Dave, couldn't resist. ;)

I recall that picture; I'm gonna dig that issue out!
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've had letters to the editor published in Bass Player, Keyboard and Guitar World, but that was way back in the day when I bothered to write letters to editors. It used to seem like a challenge to see if I could get my letters published, but I don't care much about that any more. (TalkBass is more fun.)

It was my dream to make the cover of Bass Player magazine or at least have an article about me, but I realize now I have a snowball's chance in hell of that ever happening. I don't deserve such an honor anyway.
  15. ive never been in one, but in the latest issue of guitar world my brothers friend got his letter posted.
  16. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I was in the Milt Hinton tribute edition of BP in the Letters column...... I wrote a letter backing JT up about the uselessness (is that a word?) of TAB. Got published, though they edited it a bit.
  17. that whole fiasco with JT's letter was priceless. too bad we didn't know how many people were paying attention, he coulda slipped in a plug for TB. ;)
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, cool. you were probably the only one they published. did you see how many people wrote in to say how wrong i was? all for saying that i felt it was their responsibility to include standard notation lessons along with every issue? :rolleyes: that was the "former administration" though - they've changed editors, who knows? maybe they'll be open to changing along those lines too.
  19. Hey, can someone scan those letter columns? I'd like to see them.