Have any of you failed a drug test because you were exposed to second hand marijuana

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DLI848, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DLI848

DLI848

Oct 28, 2009
    I'm talking about the drug tests that test on hair follicles and such. I was at band practice at a friend's house and got some second hand smoke about 2 weeks ago. I've never smoked the stuff in my life. Have you heard of anyone that has failed because of second hand smoke only?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I did.
    I failed a urine test.
    I was riding in a VW with two people smoking.
    My PO was PO'ed!
    30 days son....................

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    no idea. I doubt you need to worry about hair follicle tests, IIRC they're quite expensive and most businesses don't bother.

4. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    I've never heard of this. I think if its only 2nd hand smoke from 2 weeks ago, you should be find. Unless you inhaled so much you got high, but I'm guessing not.

5. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    I'm slightly worried about this myself due to neighbors of mine lighting up all the time in their backyard.

6. DLI848

DLI848

Oct 28, 2009
    Are you saying it'll be out of my urine in 30 days?

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Should be.
    I had to go in two days after for a random check.

8. if they are in your backyard, you don't have much to worry about...HDRacer's story is a little different because he was in a car, which is not as well-ventilated as the outdoors.

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Just curious: Who's administering drug tests these days?

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    "It's for my glaucoma! I swear!" :ninja:

You should be fine, since you were outdoors. If you were in a car, at a concert, or another area with poor ventilation I'd say you should be worried, but this isn't the case.

When I got a job as a pharmacy tech I had to take 3 drug tests - piss, hair, and blood. A lot of hourly-wage jobs also require it, as does every government job or company with any sort of pharmaceutical, government, or risk-associated contract.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Cranberry juice.

I passed mine after showing them my brand new pipe. I am smart!

12. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    If you were with someone i highly doubt you can get a positive from 2nd hand. I (unfortunately) went through a spell where i was required by law to pee in a cup, and every time i used the "it was 2nd hand i swear" every testing facility laughed in my face. Either you smoked or you didn't and the only way to get 2nd hand is to be next to the person basically sucking off their lips and inhaling the smoke..

Being that one poster said he was in a car and got a positive test is kind of hard to believe too... maybe it did happen, but from my experiences that's a little bit of a stretch.

But yes, cranberry juice and goldenseal pills will help clean out your system. The only REAL way to not have a positive test is to just stop. Trust me.. i was lucky enough to have a great lawyer who was able to get me multiple tests granted when i should've been locked up for a while.

13. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I actually know a bit about that. Because marijuana is so much more potent than it was way back when....... It's a genuine possibility: sealed automobile, sucking face with someone who smoked, etc. Seriously high-end hydroponically grown marijuana can get close to 800% the amount of testable alkaloids that old fashioned, common outdoor-grown material samples from (for example, the 70's). At that level it's affecting the DNA. Since it's fat soluble many components will be available for testing 30 days and over from time of introduction. The most unreliable format is the swab, then the EMIT (and variants) then hair, then blood.
    The testing however is done in gradients. So if you are WAY over; then it IS laughable. If you are borderline: it could happen.

14. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    really? any ditchweed can be grown into great weed using proper nutrients, techniques and controlled environments. Crossing "high-potency" strains has been done with roses and tomatoes over thousands of years to get the desired results.

BTW growing hydroponically doesn't "make" it stronger. That is false. It is just another growing method as opposed to using soil. Some tomato growers use aeroponics as a method of applying nutrients even more directly to the roots for optimum nutrient uptake..

15. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was in the back seat of VW bug with two people smoking in the front.
    It was winter and the car looked like a Cheech and Chong movie.
    I admit I could feel it, but I never took a toak.
    Had the test been a week later I doubt I would have failed.
    They were smoking some Humboldt skunk.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You get humboldt blends out in there in Minnesota? :eyebrow::eek:

17. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Were you in there for like an hour?

I'm not knocking your story man.. that totally sucks. I've had a judge laugh at my "2nd hand smoke" story :rolleyes:

18. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    NO ONE SAID IT (hydroponically grown samples in & of themselves) MADE IT STRONGER: that's a simple example of method. It's very important to READ the post before responding to it....Of course a strain or sample can be grown into quality high potency marijuana. Here we go back to the DAMN THIRD GRADE. "Look Mom; gene splicing".
    The discussion centered on high levels of alkaloid being transferable in closed or interpersonal contact.
    So you can make some point about crap strains being able to be made into high potency yield all you want: that was not the subject nor the commentary.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Though it is possible, it is also extremely rare to fail a drug test being around 2nd hand pot smoke. You would have inhale extremely large quantities of 2nd hand smoke in order to fail a drug screen.

20. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I remember a little story about a guy who worked for London Underground years back. He was tested and found to be positive but claimed it was through second hand smoke. Apparently it came down to the level in his blood system, the bottom line was he was offered his job back or $16000, he took the money so it was said.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021