Have any of you quit a band because it was hindering your development

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tycobb73, May 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I joined a band a few weeks ago. Switched off between guitar and bass. I'm not very good at guitar and was taking lessons. Had to stop lessons to focus on this band. It took all my time to try to learn the guitar parts. I would watch YouTube to learn the parts, not knowing the theory behind what I was doing. Just trying my hardest to get the song down, whether my technique was good or not. Rehearsal wasn't fun. My parts weren't up to my standards. They wanted to play 4 sets of covers with a few originals sprinkled in. I was fine with this as long as the originals were danceable. He'd bring me his folk originals with bass lines that sounded good but didn't have a danceable groove. He'd want to do live versions of popular songs that would bring a dance floor to a stop. I tried to explain to him many times the difference between an audience wanting to dance and an audience there to hear your originals. I told him I didn't like a folk song about Indians and I didn't think itd go over well with our other stuff, which was a lot of 80s synth pop. I told him he should find other people to play festivals with. I don't care if someone is in 2 bands as long as those bands aren't similar.

We were supposed to practice today. I found myself relieved when my son called sick from school, thus canceling practice for me. Guitarist asked me again today when i canceled if I would play his indian song. I won't. He also told me to check out a live version of a song we are covering because they really changed up the bass line and made it signature. It sounds good, but looses the dance groove. Mainly because of the time required for me to learn the guitar parts but also him not understanding his target audience I sent a text saying maybe we should go our separate ways. Didn't hear back yet. Probably still rehearsing.

I spent an hour and a half this evening getting back into the lessons I was working on a month ago. It felt so good. The consensus here is that playing with other people inproves your playing. Has anyone been in a situation where it hurt?

2. I've been in bands where I thought my time would be better spent elsewhere, but never where I thought I was backing up.

3. Yes. My very first band. I was 19 playing with people in their 40's. Go figure. Thing is, we pretty much all picked up our instruments at the same time. Maybe it's because bass is the easiest instrument to learn? ;)

Last Rebel likes this.
  4. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Yes , quit a blues band , seemed to me that every bass line was so very similar ,I can only do that for so long.... Gets kinda old
    ..never anyone dancing either

smogg, Groove Doctor and Helix like this.
  5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I did the Blues band thing for many years. I had to take a long break when I would automatically go to the IV after 4 bars of the I out of habit. It diminished my ability to hear and use different chord progressions, structures, harmony, and melody. Nowadays, I could easily go back to playing Blues and enjoying every minute of it, but there's no way that I can solely commit to that genre or any genre and expect musical growth.

dralionux, Rich Fiscus, smogg and 5 others like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

yep, a few. i just told the others that "i wasn't growing in the direction i had intended." some bands had empathy...some felt abandoned/rejected and got pissy (usually the singer or guitar player).

IMO: go your way. it's a band: they'll get over it! :thumbsup:

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yes, several times.
    Got into bands and then nothing happens.
    LAzy guys, endless rehearsals and the same mistakes every week.
    Or train wrecks on stage every night because of lazy guys not doing their homework.

GManfromOz, red_rhino and CaseyJ like this.
  8. A few years ago I got involved in a start up band. I wasn't working in any other bands at the time so a start up was a good way of keeping up my chops and who knows , maybe it would take off. Four months later and only about 20 songs polished up , another working band offered me a position. With only one gig on the books about 6 weeks down the road for the first band , I gave them my notice. Even helped them audition another bass player. In that 6 weeks , I played 4 gigs with the new band and went on to gig regularly with them for a few years. Although that band hasn't officially disbanded , we haven't played a gig since November due to the BL's health conditions. Through that band , I landed the position in my present band that is keeping me as busy as I want to be. Oh yeah , that first band finally played their gig and folded up soon after.

9. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    No. But I'm about to fire my drummer for hindering our band. Does that count? After memorial day weekend, he is gone. We've got a new guy we are getting up to speed to take his spot. Too much bitching and moaning, and tempo problems. Tempo has been a major issue. I talked to him last night about it and he agreed he needs to work on it. So I offered to work with a click to get things right. His next sentence was, I think we start songs too slow so I speed them up. I said, so you're aware of it and doing it on purpose? Really?

Pedal2DaMeddle likes this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes.

11. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    I have not, but I understand where you're coming from. If you aren't getting what you want out of the band, quit.

Twobass and Helix like this.
  12. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yup, the guys I used to play with were in a cover band that folded... so our really cool once-a-week, all-original jam night in which we were recording our stuff and starting to get traction was turned into their next cover band. Really stunk because those guys are super-talented. They've got all the ingredients to make killer, original music and all they want to do is play covers. I was happy to voluntarily bow out once I heard our "new direction."

Boo.

Helix likes this.
  13. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Several times. And it has to happen somewhere down the line. Sooner or later. Otherwise you don't develop at all. What doesn't kill you... you know. I do detect these things very fast though, from an early age.

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Yes.

15. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    As an aging local player, it seemed the average thing to do to get with others my age, as a sideman, playing whatever the "collective" members and the leader deemed appropriate. There was some considerable come and go with members over the 5+ years. We played all of two venues, except for two or three freebies, and when our mainstay venue shuttered, no alarms went off with the leader. Leadership was weak and scheduling/coordinating members to rehearsals and gigs became virtually impossible. Add to the complexity, there were three people of the six that had lead vocal resposibility and they were the lion's share of scheduling issues...so our set power was reduced by the power of who couldn't make it. Eventually, I had to move on. Though I had tried to get us gig opportunities at other places, scheduling issues were the nails in the coffin for us. Sad. Waste, except for the learning.

16. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Yes, but with a drummer. I moved on because I try not to waste time.

17. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I left a jazz quartet because the piano player's meter was so bad that, the longer I did weekly gigs chasing him around, the worse my meter was getting. Weirdly, he showed up last night at my Monday big band rehearsal. With 17 other bodies mostly swinging, I just ignored him and all was well.

18. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have not quit a working band for that reason, but I have declined to work with a band that I auditioned for and then got the gig offer, because of the quality of what I heard in the audition.

You have to decide what works for you and your progress as a musician.
    OTOH, if you are a full time working pro (or want to be) you sometimes have to take gigs that are not the greatest in order to keep the income flow going. Its a tough balancing act for sure.

best of luck

Groove Doctor likes this.
  19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Playing w others doesn't always hinder your development but playing w clowns certainly does

sevenyearsdown and portpc like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Most of the bsnds I've been in were originals bands. Some I left because I didn't like the direction it was taking. Or because it just wasn't happening.

But I've also been very fortunate to mainly work with people whose musical skills were at least equal to my own. And many times significantly better. So I can honestly say I never left a band because I felt it was hindering my development as a musician. Quite the contrary.

But I try to put myself in musical situations, and with talented people, where I have to work a bit harder to keep up. I always preferred to be the guy in the band who was rapidly and constantly improving rather than be the designated star player.

Maybe that's a little weird. But that's how I get my jollies when it comes to music. I like the challenge far more than the accolades. It's just the way I roll.

YMMV. :cool:

Last edited: May 17, 2017