Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have anybody tried the new FLEA Bass Boomers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Hello fellow bassist have anybody tried the new FLEA Bass Boomers?:confused:

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Flea finally has his own GHS Bass Boomers eh? about time, hes been using them forever.

send me a link to where you read about this please :)

for the record, i like GHS Boomers.. just wish they sounded a little fatter.

3. I saw them on the new Bass player magazine.

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah i saw an add for them in bass guitar magazine. im also verrrry curious to see what others think as well.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    GHS doesn't even have them on their site yet. Are they on shelves?

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    havnt seen a thing anywhere and cant find anything about there existance online :confused:

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Here is what the ad in Bass Guitar mag says word for word:

Awesome bass tone starts with awesome bass strings. Now you can choose the same strings as FLEA in the GHS Boomers Limited Edition Signature Set. Using nickel plated steel over hex core with nickel and stainless steel underwind, the Flea Signature Set is the classic formula that he has relied on over the years. Tried and true. Rock bottom solid and available at your GHS dealer today.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    if they are the same formula he has relied on for years, i would assume they are the same as normal nickel ghs bass boomers 45-105.. right?

they are pretty good strings, dont seem to break, stay fairly brite for a long time, good tension, and probably the most readily available string anywhere... but after using slowounds, i dont think i could go back to boomers.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not too sure, since they're using nickel plated steel over hex core with nickel and stainless steel underwind. I'm pretty sure regular boomers don't have steel in them, and I imagine the steel underwinding would make them brighter.

In that case, may be worth me taking a second look at boomers...I liked GHS, but I like stainless better.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Are those going to be flexible at ALL? Hex core, underwinding with steel, and 105-45. Seems like you'd be playing on rods of metal, rather than strings.

11. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Sounds like La Bella Slappers, without the tapered construction.

Have emailed GHS sales for details but have yet to get a response. The holidays, I suppose.....

Tom

12. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Actually, I did get a response two days ago.

The Flea signature strings should be available after NAMM (Winter NAMM ends January 18th). The gauge is 45 65 85 105. Don't have any more info at this time.

Tom

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Sorry to pop in late. But I was told they are the same as a Medium set of Boomers, and they are available for shipment. I was also told I would be bringing a set home from NAMM :)

14. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Seeing how NAMM is over and I see these Flea strings at a few online dealers now, I wanted to bump this tread to see if anyone has tried these strings yet.

If anyone has infact tried them, how do they compare to regular nickel ghs boomers 45-105's? feel the same? sound the same? collect hand-gunk as quickly? Cost twice as much but seem identical?

Thanks.

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, I did in fact bring a set home, and they are just Boomers. They sound, feel, play the same as Boomers. Which is a good thing, IMO, since I am a loyal follower of the Boomer :)