Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

have anyone heard of anybody that had a disease...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Levi, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    Anyone heard of anyone that got a disease and was unable to play and work from your hands? Any bassists? Storys?

2. I've got a friend who's got eczema on his hands and fingers so bad it leaves huge really gross cracks of raw flesh, he'd never be able to play.

3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i had a relative who got cancer, and died, now he cant play bass at all

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Mark St. John who played with KISS on their 'Animalize' album went on to develop Reiter Syndrome ( a sever form of arthritis in his hands) which led to his joints and entire hands swelling up. I believe he has managed to control it to some extent but it does flare up on occasion and therefore being a 'band member' is not practical....

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    There`s another frequent disease called CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) that seriously affects the hand movement.
    Lots of musicians (mainly guitar or bass playeres) who suffer it. The first one who comes to my mind is Vito Bratta (White Lion guitar player) who had to quit playing cause of it.

6. i know this isn't really a disease, but i know a guitar player who was born without arms...he plays with his feet, and he's actually prett good. he doesn't do Vai solos, he just plays rhythm guitar, but he is good!

his name escapes me at the moment...

Charlie

7. Andy Long, who runs the UK website Third Bass, has a condition called Hereditary Angioedema in which his hands sometimes swell radicall. there's a page on his site devoted it if you feel like reading up...

http://www.thirdbass.co.uk

tough stuff. cool guy, though, and a great site!

from the lows,

Stew

8. Crab'sll do it every time! You'd be too busy scratching to play! Hahaha! Seriously, I know that Alex Lifeson, guitarist from Rush, has eczema on his hands, but he plays anyhow, following a big warmup regimen. I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist, and ended up having the surgery for it....its fine now and I play often.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My friends mom got Lyme disease and somehow lost feeling in her hands.