1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have anyone of you done this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DumbChild, May 1, 2006.

1. Hey guys.
    As i am bored and have absolutely nothing to do i thought id ask you this, outta curiosity.

Well, a bassist from a band i listen to plays his bass sitting on the inside of his thigh, on more of a vertical angle thing.. hmm ill need a picture..

up1.

up2.

Now i understand this guy is a massive poser. Thats why i decided to ask you guys.
    This guy does this all the time unless hes moving or slapping.

But yea satisfy my curiosity. Or does everyone else think its totally Stupid:D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe it's easier to hold it still while looking like a moron?

3. lol hahaha, maybe. I am still curious:D

4. He is doing it because that is the Bass player's power stance...it doesn't help his technique, he just thinks it looks cool, and so did the rest of the 80's

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Gary Willis positions his bass in a similar way when he's sitting down, but not quite that low-slung. It's supposed to be closer to how its positioned when standing.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I play my bass down low like that. I do not consider myself a poser, or a moron.

-Mike

7. Don't_Fret

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Found it.

[​IMG]

8. That photo of Gary Willis looks a lot more like classical guitar technique/position, rather than that of one of power-posing in the metal photo above.

9. Don't_Fret

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Right. It's not exactly the same, but it complies with the OP's "plays his bass sitting on the inside of his thigh." Just thought that might help him out.

10. I bet if that bass player had a BC Rich he wouldn't be shoving the sharp pointy bits between his legs.. unless, you know, he likes that kind of thing.

11. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    It's a rock show a big part of it is looks. Lets face it would you like the same music as much, if it was played by obese bald guys in plain clothing, who just stood still. No, people go to the rock shows not just to hear but to see.

Sure I wouldn't play that way, I don't like the wrist pain that comes with it. Nothing wrong with looking cool, or putting on a show for the audience.

I love it when people say poser. What that really means is that they wish they could pull it off, or had the guts to go put on a show.

Sure if they suck and can't play and still jump around, then they are the worst kind of posers, but at least they are trying on some level.

Anyone that's in a band that is not successful, are by default posers and wannabees, myself included.

12. I agree.

I agree.

I wish I could pull it off too. I don't know if I would stick it between my legs, but hell yeah I wish I had the stage charisma to be able to jump around and pose 'n all that.

13. Just imagine if your strap came off halfway through a song at a gig and you didn't drop it...you'd have no problem at least finishing off the song whilst playing it like that would ya?

(I dunno where that came from!) It happened to me a few weeks ago actually - in the middle of "Bohemian Like You" - suddenly a loud "WHOOMPH!" from the bass and a few seconds silence...but I carried on playing even though I was holding and playing it like a standup...whilst I was actually standing up...holding the neck/FULL weight of the bass in my fretting hand WHILST fretting & playing. People may have thought iff they'd just come in "poser", but I pulled it off and my bass didn't crash to the floor when the strap came off which was the main thing - but I don't think anyone thought any less of me...if anything it impressed them.

Now if your actually SITTING whilst playing like that...well, thats another kettle of fish...but, next time YOUR strap comes off mid-gig, just keep standing and don't stop playing...your hand MAY get a bit sore if its a 5er or 6er - but it works quite well on a 4 if needs must! Just KEEP ONE HAND ON YOUR NECK AT ALL TIMES YOU'VE GOT THE BASS STRAPPED ON, IT'S WORTH IT IF IT SAVES IT FROM A NASTY BASH EVEN ONCE!!!:bassist: :bassist:

14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Looks similar to the way that Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse plays.

[​IMG]

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Ah, but are you a hair farmer with a gallon of hairspray applied? Hmm? :rolleyes:

And just what is that cross-with-antlers thingie behind him?

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    it all depends what i'm doing on stage.

i've been known to hold my bass like that, among doing many other things on stage.

rock music makes people want to move, not just stand around. so when bands do little things like that while playing, it's not being a poseur, it's stage presence.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true, and clay, it appears we have the same avatar.

At least until we win the cup, then I'll go back.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    haha. yeah.

i used to have the devils avatar, then i had my band. and in the athlete debt thread, snoman said..

so i figured i'd change back and really confuse him

:D

19. I am thinking it is because it makes him feel kinda funny. Like when he climbs the rope in gym class...

Hey, a show is a show - and apparently he is on stage at a show, so...

20. Hmm all very good points. Well he got the crowd moving so i guess hes a winner no matter how silly he looks.