Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have bass.... Need travel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gumwr, Jul 1, 2002.

1. gumwr

gumwr

Jun 3, 2002
    Harrisonburg, Va
    Hey all,
    My band and I will soon be traveling to Scotland to play a few gigs with a youth organization. Needless to say, my Dean Edge 4 will be going along. Does anyone have any ideas due to past experience on the best way to transport instruments (basses especially) through the airline? I'd love to carry it on. Thanks for your help.

Extatic Bassist,
    W gum

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Get a good case, like a SKB. It will cost you like $100 but you´llbe glad you made that investment, there´s nothing like the feeling of knowing that your bass is safe frome the bag-throwers at airports.

3. A heavy-duty case is a must. Simply put, your bass is big enough that, in all liklihood, you'll be asked to check it, especially if the plane is very full. If that happens, you want a case that will be very sturdy and, if possible, lockable.

4. gumwr

gumwr

Jun 3, 2002
    Harrisonburg, Va
    thanks for the fast replies guys. looks like i am going to lock it up tight, cross my fingers and hope it doesnt get damaged or lost.

Extatic Bassist,
    W gum

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't really know that it makes too much of a difference, but I like to loosen the tuners a turn or two to take tension off of the neck.

FWIW,

-robert

6. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    SKB cases are cheap junk IME and not worth the investment. Don't do it. Any bass case that costs $100.00 is not a good one. Get a good plywood flight case with recessed heavy duty hardware like those made by Rock Hard or Hybrid. It will cost you considerably more, but it is worth it.
    And I wonder: why does everyone think SKB's are so great? My guess is its because they're cheap and plentiful, and about the only thing you see in stores as far as cases. Great marketing--terrible product! And that's my $.02

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    i have a ratty 10 dollar case, it does fine, there are spilinters everywhere, it looks terrible, but it get the job done!

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, maybe you can spend 300 bucks on a Pro bass case because YOU are a Pro bass player (yes i´m very sarcastic here).....
    since i´m a poor student who can´t spend more than 100 bucks on a case, I bought an skb.

By the way, I´ve traveled with it like 3 times on bus and one in plane without any problem.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, just expressing my opinion based on my experience with them. I have owned some of their racks and they just don't hold up that well. They warp, twist and the covers won't stay latched. If it had only been one...
    Anyhoo, about 2 years ago, I bought a Modulus Q5 (no I ain't rich...yes I burned the VISA up on it!) and the case it came in was one of those crappy, molded SKB made atrocities. A $3600.00 bass in a $3.00 case!!! Oh well, I thought. I'll keep an open mind. It has since developed a crack, the ends have curled upward and I could always feel the bass moving around in it. Not good! Certainly not good enough for that bass. So there you have it.
    BTW, I don't begrude you for doing the best you can; at least its better than a gig bag!

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Why if you spend 3600 bucks on a Modulus, didn´t bought it with a hardcase????????
    If I pay that kind of money, I would spect to get a custom made case for the bass....... (sorry if I was a little rude before)

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Apart from the flaming here, I think a (decent) gig bag inside a (decent) hard case is the flight classic.

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That's the case the factory supplied with it and I couldn't get anything else. It being a 35" scale bass it wouldn't fit in a standard case. I wanted it to have a case until I could get a better one, so that was my only choice. I really didn't have any choice in the matter. Oh, I raised hell about it, for all the good it did. I had to buy a decent one later.
    BTW, they call the case that came with it a hard shell case. Technically I suppose it is.
    My Sting Ray 5, which is now celebrating its 12th birthday came with a "real" hard shell case and it is still holding up. It has seen much more abuse than the Modulus case, too.

Tsal: no flaming going on here; just a gentlemanly discussion. And your suggestion is a good one.

13. Gumwr,

Not sure where you are based, but try Status Graphite who also do hard cases for around £100. Be sure to get one that locks or has facilities for you to put a padlock on. I know of one person who had a trumpet stolen at Heathrow (aka Thiefrow). I haven't had much opportunity to travel with my bass by plane, but carry a bassoon on as hand luggage. This has caused difficulties a couple of times. I'd say expect it to go in the hold. Detuning is a good idea. Also try wrapping a towel or bubblewrap around the body, and something under the strings so they don't chatter against the fingerboard. I think Steve "Dude" Barr has some good advice for packing basses at his website.

All the best! Enjoy Scotland...
    Mike