1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Have BassPodXT, thinking about SansAmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stflbn, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I find that most of the time I'm using 3 custom settings on my Bass Pod.

Rock
    Smooth Jazz
    Fretless

2 are for my Schecter and the Fretless is basically for switching to my fretless.

So I'm wondering... do I really need the Bass Pod? Would I actually be serving myself better by going the Sansamp route?

I'm using the Pod as a DI/PreAmp into a PowerAmp, then into a Eden 2x12 and would do the same with the SansAmp.

Having looked over the Sansamps it appears I'd be losing Chorus, Compressions, etc that I mildly use.

Thoughts on the Pro's / Con's of this? Is there some other newer SansAmp type unit thats more the flavor of the week that i've not found out about?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the Sansamps sure don't have chorus or (much) compression. They are for the specific purpose of emulating a driven tube amp. So if you are willing to lose the chorus etc. and gain a grunty tube amp sound, then go for the Sansamp.

OTOH it is possible to turn off the amp emulation, which means you can use the programmable Sansamp to switch between three EQ settings, if all you need is EQ.