Have Beatle bass itchy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Lone Strang, Jun 29, 2005.

1. The Lone Strang

The Lone Strang

Jun 28, 2005
    Good day, all, I am a novice to this forum, but I have enjoyed reading around for several days. I am mainly an acoustic guitarist, but lately I have felt the pangs of bass itch. I used to play bass at church years ago, so I am not a complete newb, but I am just a little better than a root-of-the-chord man, with some simply bass chord runs.

Enough about me...I have a simple question. Being an old rocker, I really want a Beatle bass, but don't want have to sell one of my cars to get one.

I notice that both MsF has a Rogue copy, rondo has a Brice copy, and SA has a Jay Turser copy. What I want to know is if anyone can give me a heads up on which one is the best for me or the most cost effective. I plan to play folk, folkrock, Beatles, Eagles, and some simply rock. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. I haven't heard many bad things about Brice models around here, so that seems like a good way to go. It might need a setup, but that's about it.
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a friend that I play and record with who is a dedicated Beatles afficinado. He has an early 60's Hofner 4001(?) cavern bass, a new reissue Hofner that is a replica of McCartney's bass and a Rogue Viola bass. I have played them all and recorded with them all and to be quite honest I prefer the Rogue. Plays as good if not better and sounds identical to the Hofners. If it were me that would be the way I'd go.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try to navigate the search function here. I seem to remember some recent threads with reviews and lengthy discussions. Look for "Beatle Bass" and "Violin Bass".
  5. I totally agree.

While Brice and Jay Turser both have pretty good reputations regarding the quality of their instruments, especially for the price, everything that I've heard about the Rogue violin bass would make it my 1st choice. :)

Also, about twice a year MF blows 'em out at $199.99 :hyper: So for me that would clinch the deal :cool:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member